Apalon, a division of Mosaic Group (an IAC operating business), builds best in class, mobile-first products that make everyday life better. With one of the world's largest and most diverse app portfolios, Apalon has over 1 million subscribers and over 600 million downloads. The portfolio includes Webby Award Winner Productive, NOAA Weather Radar Live: Clime, Blossom, Pixomatic, and many more. Apalon’s commitment to creating easy to use applications with unique and personalized content and the latest advanced technology delivers top rated mobile experiences for consumers and businesses around the world.
IAC (NASDAQ: IAC) builds companies. We are guided by curiosity, a questioning of the status quo, and a desire to invent or acquire new products and brands. From the single seed that started as IAC over two decades ago have emerged 10 public companies and generations of exceptional leaders. We will always evolve, but our basic principles of financially-disciplined opportunism will never change. IAC today operates Vimeo, Dotdash and Care.com, among many others, and has majority ownership of ANGI Homeservices, which includes HomeAdvisor, Angie’s List and Handy. The Company is headquartered in New York City and has business operations and satellite offices worldwide.
Contract with Potential for Full time Hire
- Provide expertise to support and enhance NWP capabilities derived from a variety of models including, but not limited to, WRF, GFS, ICON and the UK Met Office Model. (Global + regional models). Key tasks involve applying data assimilation techniques, developing new applications exploiting NWP data, verifying model output against observational data.
- Validation and verification of scientific methods, performing research and exploring novel methods, developing and maintaining atmospheric models, developing and maintaining numerical weather prediction systems
- Support software team to ensure software code effectively performs scientific routines
- Provide team support, training, and presentations of technical material to team/audience with diverse backgrounds
- Perform literature reviews to support scientific decisions and system designs, model configurations, etc.
- Provide the team with knowledge about weather models
- Estimate the creation of our own weather feed (collect and compute weather models data)
- Audit our system
- Develop a data collection system with observation stations
- Start collecting and processing historical data for further use (checking the forecast’s accuracy from different providers). Create providers ranking system.
- B.S. in Meteorology or equivalent with a specialization in Numerical Weather Prediction
- Understanding of operational NWP models such as WRF, GFS, ICON and the UK Met Office Model etc.
- Experience developing and verifying NWP algorithms and software systems.
- Knowledge of meteorological data formats like METAR, GriB, NetCDF, etc.
- Experience with programming languages Python and/or FORTRAN.
- Good communications skills, ability to work on a team, and willingness to learn.
Nice to have skills:
- Understanding of the WRF, GSI, MAPS and/or FV3 functionality at the Fortran code level, not just the namelist level
- Experience compiling the WRF, GSI, MPAS, and/or FV3 codes including debugging and optimization settings
- Experience establishing V&V metrics and performing V&V analyses of NWP systems
- Experience with meteorological observation data QA/QC such as METAR, ROAB, PREPBUFER etc.
- Experience performing radar reflectivity DA and/or DA of other precipitation indicators such as from satellites
- Experience performing satellite radiance DA in all-sky conditions
- Experience working on cloud computing systems, especially Amazon AWS or Google Cloud
- Experience using and configuring cloud-based HPC systems including Graphical Processing Unit (GPU) accelerators and Singularity
- Experience in programming languages such as Java, Python, Go, and/or C++, preferably scientific Python libraries/frameworks used the geosciences (xarray, xESMF, SciPy, sklearn, MetPy, wrf-python etc.)
- Proficient in writing code to visualize, analyze, and assess weather forecasts and data.
*We embrace diversity and strive to create an inclusive and equitable environment for all.