At Antora, we’re on a mission to stop climate change. And we can’t do that unless we tackle the 30% of global emissions that come from industry.
Antora is unlocking zero-emissions industrial energy, cheaper than fossil fuels. Antora’s thermal batteries store energy from renewables as heat for days on end, delivering that stored energy as heat and power at the scale and temperatures that large industrial operations demand. We’re on a path to eliminate gigatons of emissions while strengthening domestic manufacturing, curbing industrial air pollution, and enhancing America’s clean energy leadership.
We are growing our company with people who put team and mission first, value connection through laughter and joy, and build with humility and openness. We are committed to continue building a diverse, passionate, and creative team dedicated to a future where every industrial facility, everywhere on earth, is powered by abundant, low-cost, zero-emissions energy.
We are seeking a self-driven and passionate individual to join our systems engineering team to deliver zero-carbon industrial heat and power with our novel solid state thermal battery. We are a tight-knit team that loves what we do. We strive to have an impact, working with humility and openness and building lifelong relationships along the way. You will collaborate with our engineering teams to scope, define, design, model, prototype, validate, and iterate the mechanical design of Antora’s thermal battery. You will be a key technical member of a cross-functional and rapidly growing organization. Your work will directly contribute to the demonstration of a first of a kind long-duration energy storage technology.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Drive hardware development for subsystems and components within Antora’s thermal battery system from basic architecture evaluations through conceptual design, analysis, detailed design, prototyping, testing, and manufacturing phases.
- Perform design calculations and trade studies for structural, thermal, and fluid systems.
- Work closely with other team members to develop system requirements.
- Develop and maintain engineering and CAD best practices, standards, documentation, and infrastructure.
- Mentor interns and/or junior engineers to develop their technical and professional capabilities.
- May directly manage a few engineers, if appropriate for scope and skillset, either as a technical project manager or people manager.
- Take ownership of partially-bounded design scope at a subsystem level or higher. Is a self-starter and independently comes to a directionally-correct solution before receiving further input.
- Can independently set priorities and manage scope creep; helps address broader team risks/ changes when they arise.
- Education and industry experience will determine level; minimum requirements are as follows:
- Senior Engineer: Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering with 6+ years relevant industry experience OR Master’s degree with 4+ years relevant industry experience OR PhD
- Staff Engineer: Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering with 10+ years relevant industry experience OR Master’s degree with 8+ years relevant industry experience OR PhD with 4+ years relevant industry experience
Examples of relevant industry experience include power generation, aerospace, propulsion, or other industrial hardware products
- Capable of providing thought leadership for the team as a technical subject matter expert. Contributes to development of subsystem architecture, while helping to mitigate technical and schedule risk.
- Strong proficiency in independently developing and delivering hardware products as the responsible mechanical design engineer from cradle to grave
- Strong proficiency in creating 3D CAD in Solidworks and managing data in PDM (Product Data Management) software or equivalent (ie Siemens NX and Teamcenter)
- Strong proficiency in creating engineering drawings (GD&T, ASME Y14.5)
- Strong proficiency with finite element analysis (FEA) software, e.g. ANSYS, for structural and/or thermal analysis
- Strong proficiency in relevant hand calculations for structural, thermal, fluids, and/or fatigue analysis
- Strong proficiency in designing for common manufacturing processes like welding, machining, sheet metal fabrication, etc for low-mid volume production
- Proficiency in systems analysis and managing risks across large and complex systems, preferably using tools such as FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis)
- Proficiency in team-wide development of engineering processes, standards, infrastructure, and best practices.
- Collaborative working style with strong written and verbal communication skills; gives + accepts feedback with humility; puts the mission and team first when solving problems.
Additional Qualifications Desired
- Experience with process engineering equipment (valves, actuators, instrumentation, piping) and best practices (P&IDs, PFDs, PHAs, etc
Work Location: Onsite - San Jose, CA
- Senior Engineer: $156,000 USD - $205,000 USD
- Staff Engineer: $225,000 USD - $245,000 USD
Salary Basis: Annual
This job posting contains the salary range that Antora Energy believes it would be willing to pay for the posted job. The actual salary offered will be determined within the posted range based on a candidate's experience, credentials, and expertise as they pertain to the requirements of the position.
In addition to a competitive base salary, Antora Energy’s Total Rewards program includes a premium health benefits package with life and disability insurance, a 401K plan, a flexible spending account, industry leading paid time off policy, providing a flexible and inclusive holiday observance, as well as paid volunteer time off.