At Antora, we’re on a mission to stop climate change. And we can’t do that unless we tackle the 30% of global emissions that come from industry.
Antora is unlocking zero-emissions industrial energy, cheaper than fossil fuels. Antora’s thermal batteries store energy from renewables as heat for days on end, delivering that stored energy as heat and power at the scale and temperatures that large industrial operations demand. We’re on a path to eliminate gigatons of emissions while strengthening domestic manufacturing, curbing industrial air pollution, and enhancing America’s clean energy leadership.
We are growing our company with people who put team and mission first, value connection through laughter and joy, and build with humility and openness. We are committed to continue building a diverse, passionate, and creative team dedicated to a future where every industrial facility, everywhere on earth, is powered by abundant, low-cost, zero-emissions energy.
We are seeking an exceptionally driven and passionate individual to join our solid-state thermal battery engineering team. You will collaborate with internal & external engineering teams to scope, define, design, and model the thermo-mechanical design of the Antora thermal battery module components and sub-systems. You will be a key technical member of a cross-functional and rapidly growing organization. Your work will directly contribute to the demonstration of a first of a kind long-duration energy storage technology.
In this role you will be responsible for detailed thermo-mechanical modeling in support of design and operations of the thermal energy storage modules. Understanding of fundamental physical concepts around heat and mass transfer at high temperatures along with ability to develop high fidelity models will be key to success in this role. In addition, the candidate will embody the Antora values, demonstrating teamwork, excellent communication, and excellence in engineering.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Perform analysis to support thermal and mechanical design of the thermal battery modules including phenomenon like thermal induced stress as well as process parameters like overall heat and mass balance
- Work on development of robust heat transfer models including, thermo-mechanical stress, conduction, radiation, and convection to predict system level performance
- Support the development of bench scale and full-scale test plans to validate models and performance requirements
- Work on system level and thermal requirements, design basis, and configuration
- Perform thermal and mechanical analysis including Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Conjugate Heat Transfer (CHT) and/or mechanical Finite Element Analysis (FEA), where applicable
- Work closely with mechanical design engineers to develop thermal and systems requirements as well as manufacturing engineers to optimize for cost and production scale-up
- Develop and maintain internal design practices and documentation on thermal and mechanical system modeling
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical engineering.
- 5-7 years of professional experience in thermal and mechanical design teams
- Experience developing and delivering hardware products as lead thermal design engineer
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Additional Qualifications Desired
- 7+ years of professional experience in hardware modeling roles with 2+ years experience as lead engineer on multi-physics FEA
- Experience with design of thermal and / or thermo-mechanical systems at industrial scale and high temperature environments
- Demonstrated understanding of thermal and systems analysis including failure modes of thermo-mechanical systems
Work Location: Onsite - San Jose, CA
Salary Range: $160,000 USD - $185,000 USD
Salary Basis: Annual
This job posting contains the salary range that Antora Energy believes it would be willing to pay for the posted job. The actual salary offered will be determined within the posted range based on a candidate's experience, credentials, and expertise as they pertain to the requirements of the position.
In addition to a competitive base salary, Antora Energy’s Total Rewards program includes a premium health benefits package with life and disability insurance, a 401K plan, a flexible spending account, industry leading paid time off policy, providing a flexible and inclusive holiday observance, as well as paid volunteer time off.