Annexon Biosciences is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company pioneering the development of a new class of medicines for patients with classical complement-mediated autoimmune, neurodegenerative, and ophthalmic disorders. The company’s pipeline is based on its platform technologies addressing a broad spectrum of well-researched classical complement-mediated autoimmune and neurodegenerative diseases triggered by aberrant activation of C1q, the initiating molecule of the classical complement pathway. Annexon is advancing a portfolio of innovative product candidates designed to block the activity of C1q and the entire classical complement pathway. Annexon is deploying a disciplined, unbiased biomarker-driven strategy designed to improve the probability of technical success of its portfolio and striving to deliver precision medicine to patients with classical complement driven diseases in the body, brain and eye.
Director/Sr. Director, Global Scientific & Medical Affairs
Annexon Biosciences is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing a new class of complement medicines for patients with classical complement-mediated autoimmune, neurodegenerative, and ophthalmic disorders of the body, brain, and eye. The company’s pipeline is based on its platform technology addressing a broad spectrum of well-researched classical complement-mediated autoimmune and neurodegenerative diseases triggered by aberrant activation of C1q, the initiating molecule of the classical complement pathway. Annexon is advancing a portfolio of innovative product candidates designed to block the activity of C1q and the entire classical complement pathway: ANX005 (intravenous administration), ANX007 (intravitreal administration), and ANX009 (subcutaneous administration). Annexon is deploying a disciplined, biomarker-driven strategy designed to improve the probability of technical success of its portfolio.
Desired Candidate profile:
The Director/Sr. Director Global Scientific & Medical Affairs will be a core member of the Global Scientific & Medical Affairs team and will help to establish the Global Scientific & Medical Affairs capabilities and function at Annexon Biosciences. This role will ultimately be responsible for representing Annexon Biosciences with a network of external thought leaders and driving Global Scientific & Medical Affairs activities for assigned therapeutic areas.
- Represent Global Scientific & Medical Affairs on cross-functional Core teams, including sharing of clinical perspectives and evolving industry insights to inform strategic planning
- Develop and manage a thought leader network to collect clinical insights and inform broader corporate initiatives
- Engage with patient advocacy groups to identify and represent areas of unmet need for patients and families in strategic decision making
- Work with clinical development teams to support inclusion of relevant clinical and outcome measures to inform needs of patients, physicians and payers
- Provide medical/scientific expertise in support of development and review of content (slides, websites, FAQs) for medical communications and education to advance disease state and clinical understanding
- Ensure alignment of the Global Scientific & Medical Affairs activities with the core team plans and objectives.
- Work closely with research and translational medicine groups to understand precision medicine and biomarker approach; help develop robust scientific messaging
- Provide scientific expertise and communication tools to convey scientific messages to global thought leaders
- Present the scientific messaging to global and regional thought leaders and clinical trial investigators
- Work closely with clinical development medical leads and medical communications to develop, submit and present clinical data at scientific congresses
- Collaborate with corporate communication and commercial teams to support CI, PAG and HEOR work
- Convey role of Annexon’s lead compounds and precision medicine approach in treating autoimmune and neurodegenerative diseases
- Work closely with cross-functional partners to understand current medical practice in the diseases of interest and what is needed to address the unmet needs from the clinical and health economics perspective.
- Develop and implement key scientific & medical affairs strategies and activities to support all stages of clinical development of Annexon’s pipeline assets.
- Contribute to company success through both internal and external medical education and medical/scientific information exchange and support. Build relationships with key opinion leaders by providing disease state education and communicating the clinical value of Annexon's scientific platform.
- MD, DO, PhD and/or PharmD with 5+ years’ biopharmaceutical industry experience, including 10+ research / healthcare related experience
- Experience with early research, complement pathway and rare diseases in autoimmune, and/or neurodegeneration desired
- Solid track record of communicating natural history data, non-clinical results and early research outcomes
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate clinical and scientific information to both internal and external networks, in support of the medical and corporate strategy
- Demonstrated strong track record of leadership and experience building effective teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to anticipate and adapt to change
- Strong interpersonal skills commensurate with the need to work closely with partners, KOL’s, consultants, and team members across functions
- Ability to communicate well with health care professionals and patient advocates; ability to establish strong relationships with peer groups, professional organizations, and other external stakeholders
- Ability to travel up to 30%
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, BELONGING ARE IMPORTANT TO US
We believe that diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are essential for the strength of our business and the vitality of the communities we serve.
Internally, we want to make sure all employees feel welcome, appreciated and can be themselves at Annexon. We continually educate, inform and hold accountability for improving our diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging efforts. We ensure that open and real dialogue happens on important diversity topics.
Externally, we continuously work to build our pipeline of underrepresented candidates for our workforce, enhance, recruit and develop a best-in-class, diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce; ensure that Black, LatinX and other underrepresented businesses have long-term sustainable opportunities to work with Annexon; and hold our vendors to the same standards under which we operate.
Annexon Bio is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Employment is conditioned upon full vaccination against the Covid-19 virus. An applicant is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. You will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon hire. The Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Annexon Bio does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to Annexon Bio or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by the HR Team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of Annexon Bio, and Annexon Bio will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.