Anki is a leading consumer robotics company, founded by three Carnegie Mellon Robotics Institute graduates. We’re building on decades of scientific research to make artificial intelligence accessible to everyone. We are dedicated to creating unique consumer products that people would not expect to be possible, powered by robotics and AI.
We deliver accessible consumer robots at high-scale, along the way solving incredibly hard, real-world robotics problems while building a great consumer brand and company. Our products perform under a wide variety of real-world conditions in people's homes, every day, reliably and consistently and aim to represent the premium and most capable choice in the categories they are in.
We push the boundaries of expectations for what an affordable and accessible consumer robot can do today and we’re leveraging our presence in more than nearly two million households to build a software, hardware and cloud technology stack that will power a wide variety of even more capable consumer robots in the near future. Our earlier products in entertainment (Overdrive and Cozmo) have been near the top of their categories for years, and Anki is now branding out into Home Robotics with continued development to push the boundaries on the smart home and into diverse related sectors.
Recently, Anki launched Vector, the company’s first fully autonomous, always-on home robot with a rich personality that is also a helpful companion. Being cloud-connected and packing an impressive amount of tech in a small form, Vector (The Good Robot) is a living character and an evolving consumer robotics platform that will continually expand for years to come.
To date, we have closed more than $200M in investments from top-tier investors such as JP Morgan Chase. Last year, Anki generated nearly $100M in revenue.
We’re proud to be regarded as industry leaders in the consumer robotics & AI space. Some of our recent accolades include:
- Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in the “Robotics” Category (2015, 2016 & #2 in 2017)
- CB Insight Artificial 100 List (2017 & 2018)
- Robotics Business Review “RBR50” List 2017
- San Francisco Business Times Tech & Innovation Awards 2017
We are searching for a Senior Platform Engineer for our Cloud AI team. This team is responsible for building cloud services that give our robots much stronger capabilities in voice, image and general pattern recognition, and allow connections to cloud-driven dynamic content.
You will focus on designing microservices/APIs that give our robots cloud-connected features that significantly enhance their usefulness and value. You could be exploring new AI APIs from large cloud providers, or deploying our own deep-networks for voice/NLP or image recognition tasks.
As a Cloud AI Engineer, you will bring a depth of knowledge on scaling high performance systems, and team up with production engineers to deploy highly scalable, reliable, production quality AI services.
Your passion for high-quality code and architecture, for automation and testing, and for identifying and solving problems with code will help Anki create new kinds of AI and robotics in the cloud. This is your chance to be part of robotics and AI history!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, implement, and expand mission critical and high-volume AI services running on a major cloud service
- Evaluate existing AI services from major cloud providers involving voice, NLP, and image recognition, or deploy your own networks using tools like Tensorflow or Caffe.
- Create and enhance robust test suites of your code, be passionate about the value of automated testing
- Support robust automation of development, deployment, operation, and investigation of services
- Participate in and lead security investigations, performance testing, and troubleshooting
- Work with business and technology stakeholders to obtain requirements, define projects, and own the delivery of those projects
- Work along with the platform team including DevOps engineers to maintain high reliability during peak use, have a passion for monitoring, logging, and systems
- Strong experience with either C++, Go, or Python in a production environment
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Excellent developer familiarity with a major cloud platform such as Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure
- Experience creating horizontally scalable services
- Ability to prioritize and track multiple projects in parallel
- Passion for robotics and artificial intelligence
- Experience with speech/NLP/image recognition systems provided by Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, Watson, or Azure/Bing.
- Experience with voice assistant technology such as Amazon’s Alexa, or Google Home Assistant, or Microsoft Cortana.
- Knowledge of deep-network tools such as TensorFlow or Caffe.
- Experience with cloud tools such as Amazon EC2/ECS/S3/Redshift, DynamoDB, or MySQL.
- Experience managing security, load testing, logging of cloud services
- Experience with Docker/containers
- Small and very experienced team focused on collaboration and shared success
- Competitive salaries, stock options and great benefits (health, subsidized public transportation costs, generous vacation)
- Great San Francisco office with lots of light and great views, convenient to every mode of mass transit – on wheels, on rails and on water
- Early stage start-up where you’ll help shape the culture and have a huge impact
- Free catered lunches, snacks and drinks
- You get to work on bleeding edge of AI/robotics products and challenging problems with some amazingly talented and fun people!