We are looking for a Character Finalling Artist to work on a new Feature Animation project. You will work closely with a variety of departments including: R&D, Modelling, Rigging, Animation, and Character FX to develop, and implement character shot based clean-up, and deformation effects post Animation and support the animation team.
What you’ll get to do:
- Complete shot-based deformation enhancements post Animation. This includes:
- Deformation clean-up due to rigs being pushed beyond capability
- Adding deformation effects, simulating interaction
- Collaborate with the Animation and Rigging departments to determine best approaches to key deformation requirements
- Support the animation team with, for example, QC, background character animation and crowd cycles
- Provide input into the procedures and techniques that will allow the visual requirements of the film to be met
- Assist with the prioritisation and delegation of work, trouble-shooting technical issues, to help ensure successful and timely completion of shots
- Understand the processes of, and support open communication between, adjoining departments, such as Animation, Modelling, Surfacing and Rigging
- Document new techniques and distribute updates
- Participate in problem solving to maintain production pipeline(s) and support AL’s overall technical goals as required
What you bring:
- Experience in feature animation, VFX, and/or animated television, with a strong and production proven knowledge of Character Finalling in either Maya, Houdini, or other relevant software
- Expert knowledge of human/animal anatomy and form
- Proven ability to create and deliver high-level shot-based deformation correction in a timely manner
- Solid knowledge in pipeline, process, tools, and techniques, with a good understanding of industry standards, conventions, formats and common practice
- Strong communication skills and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots
The following would be considered a bonus:
- Experience with sculpting package (i.e. Z-brush)
- Knowledge of both mechanical and organic type rigs in a production environment
- Software development experience using Python, and relevant application API
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to join a growing, award-winning studio!
- A central location in sunny Sydney, minutes from the CBD and famous Bondi Beach
- A chance to contribute to the success of ground-breaking animated feature films
- Exposure to a USD pipeline
- A dedicated Learning and Development and Artist Management team focused on your personal career growth
- Hybrid work environment
- A generous leave policy including paid annual leave, sick days, as well as ‘Volunteer’ days to support those causes close to your heart!
- A world-renowned working environment packed with social clubs, activities and events
- A variety of employee benefits including superannuation (retirement fund), employee discounts, breakfast, free use of barista coffee machines and snacks galore!
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, then we want to hear from you!