Come into the Pipeline world, where technology meets art.
Do you love technical challenges? Dream about developing leading-class systems that empower the best artists in the world? This position could be yours!
We're looking for a Senior Pipeline Engineer to join us at Animal Logic, Vancouver.
Pipeline engineers spend their day designing and maintaining the software stack used by artists and Technical Directors across all our studios. We are committed to improving production workflows and ensuring that our software offering best answers production’s current and future needs.
To achieve this, we collaborate with Graphics (responsible for geometry processing and other algorithmically complex solutions), Productions Systems (responsible for databases, render farm and service infrastructure) and Production Technology (Technical Directors) to focus on workflows, artist-oriented applications, automations and efficiency.
It requires the ability to work in the studio, with a flexible work-from-home schedule.
What you’ll get to do:
- Work on state-of-the-art technologies. We are heavily involved in USD and related technologies, and are also working towards providing a cloud-native studio infrastructure. Through extensive discussions with external partners (Autodesk, Nvidia and more), we also try to push the boundaries of what is achievable
- Participate in the evolution of our scene description schema in USD and the development of all our USD-based artist tools. Did you have a look at Animal Logic's USD ALab?
- Participate in our opensource efforts. We are strongly committed to giving back to the opensource community and are contributing to many external code bases
- Participate in the design and implementation of our cloud-native production pipeline
- Work in a multi-site collaborative team. While we have 2 studios, our R&D department works as a single entity across both sites. You will be working on all feature films made by Animal Logic!
- Develop ownership of our products. Ensuring the needs of production technology are always met through constant conversations with the right stakeholders and product owners. Through these conversations, you’ll participate in the vision and roadmap of these products
- Work in an agile, cross-functional teams environment. You will interact daily with the rest of the team, TDs, Production Systems and many others
- Develop your career! Animal Logic recognises the importance of learning and growing employees skills. You’ll have access to various online learning websites such as LinkedIn Learning and we’ll work with you towards your career goals
What you bring:
- A positive attitude! You love and have pride in your work, and you respect and value others’ opinions. Our team is a very collaborative place, and we want developers who can strive in that environment
- Strong interest in workflow efficiency. You are constantly questioning “slow” and “convoluted” systems and are always searching for meaningful improvements
- Pro-activity, ability to own software packages and the will to develop a vision for them. You are engaged in the systems that you are working with, and aware of their skills and caveats
- You are comfortable with Python
- You have a strong background in Computer Sciences and thorough understanding of software design patterns and best practices
- Great communication skills! You will represent the whole team in various meetings. You will need to be able to understand requirements and feedback well, and report these to the team as needed
- You are autonomous but also don’t hesitate to ask questions when needed. You don’t want to be micro-managed
- You understand the importance of unit testing and have great ideas on CI/CD systems (e.g. jenkins, sonar)
- You are well aware of modern web technologies and have participated in the development of web applications and services
- Experience working in software development for at least 6+ years in the same or similar industry
The following would be considered a bonus:
- You have some experience with USD
- You have some experience with graphQL
- You have some experience with AWS lambda or any cloud related pipeline-friendly technology
- You know what UX stands for, love it, and strive for feedback
- You know how to pronounce Qt and are familiar with PySide
- You have some modern C++ understanding
- You know what DCC stands for and have experience in some of them (e.g. Maya, Houdini, Nuke)
- Observability is your thing. You know ELK, Jaeger, OpenTelemetry and are excited by what these technologies offer
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to join a growing, award-winning studio
- Conveniently located in Yaletown near the heart of downtown Vancouver
- An inclusive workplace of employees who are passionate about creativity and technology
- A chance to contribute to the success of ground-breaking animated feature films
- Exposure to a USD pipeline
- A dedicated Learning and Development team focused on your personal career growth
- Paid ‘Volunteer’ days to support those causes close to your heart!
- A world-renowned working environment packed with social clubs, activities and events
- A variety of employee benefits including free gym access, breakfast, use of barista coffee machines, weekly lunches/pastries and snacks galore!
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, then we want to hear from you!