The Character FX Lead is a Houdini specialist, with extensive production experience, that can develop and test tools or workflows for character FX pipelines, overseeing a team of talented CFX artists on a new animated feature film to meet the creative vision for cloth, hair and skin for our characters.
What you’ll get to do:
- Organise and manage a team of CFX artists, providing guidance and support when required.
- Clearly communicate the overall brief and goals of a project to each member of the team.
- Work with the internal R&D department to further develop procedures, pipelines and designs of CFX tools.
- Drive the team reviews and offer creative/technical feedback on reviewed shots
- Participate in production pipeline problem solving.
- Document new techniques and distributes updates to peers, crew and Production Management.
- Support open communication across the company.
- Work with the CFX Supervisor or production team to prepare bids and pitches as required.
- Assist Production Management in preparation of final show reports as required.
- Ensure conflict is identified early (and escalated as appropriate) and constructive solutions are put in place to resolve/diffuse.
What you bring:
- At least 5 or more years CG production experience, with demonstrable expertise in high end character FX
- Proven experience in a leadership role is beneficial
- Expert level of understanding in Houdini
- Experience with cloth, fur and feather tools, proficiency in Vellum or Carbon solvers
- Strong scripting and/or programming experience
- Muscle and skin simulation experience a plus
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality
- Must possess strong communication skills and be able to efficiently organise and prioritise the work of a team both technically and creatively.