Directed by Ron Howard and based on the children’s book of the same name, “The Shrinking of the Treehorns” is a visually ambitious feature animation production with Paramount Animation, Imagine Entertainment and Animal Logic Entertainment.
The Matte Painting Lead is a 3D specialist, with extensive production experience, creating both photoreal and stylised matte paintings.
We require a talented individual to lead a team of matte painters and work closely with the Production Designer and Director to realise their creative vision.
What you’ll get to do:
- Provide leadership, direction, mentorship and allocation of work to the Matte Painting team.
- Provide creative and technical support to your team, ensuring high quality paintings and elements in line with the creative vision of the film.
- Work closely with the Production Designer, CG Supervisor, and Technical Directors to ensure efficient pipeline management in and out of the Matte Painting team.
- Responsible for recruitment of team members, where required.
- Assist in the quoting and bidding of any matte painting elements as requested.
- Attend all matte painting reviews to offer creative feedback and solutions.
What you bring:
- 10+ years CG production experience, creating both photoreal and stylised matte paintings.
- Proven leadership experience, leading a team of matte painters/environment artists.
- Expert level of understanding of Nuke and other compositing software.
- Strong knowledge of 3D software, modelling and software techniques.
- Knowledge of Blender and/or Maya preferred.
- Experience with USD pipelines a plus.
- A demonstrated passion and ability in matte painting/environment creation, with an eye for detail, composition and lighting.
- Strong ability to work with and manage a wide range of personality types and skillsets to harness the best of your team.
- Must possess strong communication skills and be able to efficiently organise and prioritise the work of a team to achieve deadlines.
What we offer you:
- Work with the world’s largest independent and award-winning animation studio.
- A central location in sunny Sydney, minutes from the CBD and famous Bondi Beach.
- Work on ground-breaking animated feature films.
- Exposure to working within a USD pipeline.
- A dedicated Learning and Development and Artist Management team focused on your personal career growth.
- Currently piloting a flexible work program, allowing Animals to work from home one day per week.
- A world-renowned working environment packed with clubs, social activities and events.
- A generous leave policy including paid annual, sick and ‘volunteer’ days.
- A variety of employee benefits including superannuation, employee discounts, breakfast, free use of barista coffee machines and snacks!