We are currently looking to source an inspiring Head of Story to work with us on the upcoming Warner Brothers animated feature Toto: The Dog-Gone Amazing Story of the Wizard of Oz. The position will run out of our studio based in Vancouver.
As the Head of Story, you will be responsible for taking the written script and, with Director Alex Timbers’ involvement, work collaboratively to translate the story into visuals.
What you will bring:
- A proven passion for telling entertaining stories within an animated feature film environment.
- An understanding of character development, performance and a knowledge of how to structure a story visually.
- A capability of taking the initiative and an ability to extrapolate and translate creatively.
- An extensive understanding of film making with a thorough knowledge of layout, composition, sequential drawing, performance and editing.
- Experience that will help provide a smooth collaborative workflow between story, art, previs and editorial with regard to the production of story reels.
- Experience managing and guiding a team of story artists.
What you will get to do:
- Manage, define, lead and mentor a team of storyboard artists.
- Support all artists within the team in a nurturing and inclusive environment that will allow for a strong level of confidence and a mutual respect resulting in best possible outcomes.
- Oversee all work produced with regards to accuracy and continuity.
- Present all work produced by the department at all reviews. Filter all the feedback, coupled with a thorough knowledge of the intent of the story and the Director’s vision, to select what needs to be readdressed.
- Work closely with Editorial to produce story reels that display a thorough understanding of the Director’s vision and intent.
- Collaborate with other department supervisors to define best practices, particularly with art, layout and animation.
- Work closely with the Producer and production team, defining resourcing demands, timelines and bidding the work required.
- Be responsible for the delivery of the story reels to the production on schedule.