Are you a Senior FX Artist with a creative passion to define high quality looks for animated features, and the technical ability to build rigs and FX templates for others in Houdini? We are looking for a Senior FX Artist to join our team in Vancouver!
What you'll get to do:
- Provide solutions to creative briefs through existing tools & processes in order to help define key looks for FX on the film
- Develop an understanding for the department pipeline including all assets and tools, and their purpose
- Assist in the development of the FX pipeline and tools (in conjunction with TDs and R&D)
- Develop simulations and procedural workflows with direction from Supervisor and/or Lead (including ethereal and magical looks, destruction, water simulation, fire and smoke, particles, clouds, and other volumetrics)
- Develop techniques and rigs to achieve and optimize approved looks with direction from Supervisor and/or Lead
- Accurately gauge time it takes to achieve tasks and hit deadlines consistently
- Understand the processes of adjoining departments (e.g. Lighting and Compositing) and communicate with these departments as needed
- Become proficient with the departments propriety tools
- Contribute creative feedback in reviews
- Be willing to assist/mentor junior team members with any technical/artistic challenges they may have
What you bring:
- 5 + years’ experience on feature films, TV and/or animated feature
- 5+ years’ experience in working on high quality FX and simulations using Houdini FX tools
- 2+ years’ experience in crowd/character FX is a plus
- Proficiency demonstrated through past project work and/or reel/portfolio
- Experience in look development
- Strong technical background with ability to assist in development of FX pipeline and tools as well as rigs and FX templates
- Houdini: SOPs/DOPs/POPs essential
- Houdini: Vex and Python knowledge desirable
- Lighting/Surfacing/Shading experience a plus
- Attention to design and artistic detail
- Ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment and when necessary to pass knowledge to other staff members
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality and ability to meet deadlines with high quality output
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas and work under pressure
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots moving forward; anticipating the supervisors and leads preference
What you'll need to include in your application:
- Complex and problem solving FX shot work
- Houdini simulations
- Any digital assets and setups you've contributed to, created or developed yourself
Due to security reasons please do not include any links to Dropbox or Google Docs.
For more information about Working Holiday Visas and company sponsored visas please go to our FAQ.
Animal Logic is recognised as one of the world’s leading independent creative digital studios, producing award winning design, visual effects and animation for almost 30 years. Earlier this year, the multisite studio delivered the hybrid live action/animated feature, Peter Rabbit 2 and is currently in production on Super Pets. Other recent credits include Captain Marvel, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part and Peter Rabbit.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic, Vancouver.