Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
Andela’s Technology department is charged with implementing products that will help Andela to scale with consistency and quality while providing excellent service internally and externally. It is responsible for finding the best solution for Andela’s needs, not necessarily the best solution that Andela can build.
In this role, you will primarily work as a Software Architect within the Technology department, collaborating directly with Product, Engineering, and leadership across the company to design and implement systems that will help Andela scale. You will help us scale our systems and automate our processes, while maintaining and improving security, reliability, and performance as the organization grows. You will also be a key leader on the engineering team, driving the software architecture of our in-house built systems, offering mentorship and feedback to our other engineering team members.
Some of the technologies that we use are, but not limited to:
- gRPC, Protocol Buffers
- Kubernetes, Google Pub/Sub
- Own and drive the technical roadmap for all off the shelf solutions implementations
- Own and drive the software architecture of our in-house built applications, in collaboration with the respective engineering teams
- Lead architecture sessions, and devise strategies to address architectural debt
- Set short to medium-term strategic architectural direction, able to look ahead 6-12 months and identify areas of greatest need and create plans to improve them
- Consistently able to reduce the complexity of projects, services, and processes in order to get more done with less work
- Collaborate with the Product team and other departments to identify solutions that meet the needs of stakeholders
- Create and maintain documentation of the architecture of all systems, and architecture decisions
- Continuously look for data-driven ways to improve the reliability, stability, performance and security of our systems at every level (Frontend, API, Database, Server, Integrations, etc)
- Provide mentorship to other engineers on the team.
- 8+ years of progressively larger scale experience in software development
- 5+ years experience as a software architect, especially for a large and complex software projects
- A track record for creating sweeping improvements in stability, performance, reliability, and scalability across major business-critical systems
- Experience building and scaling large-scale web applications, event-driven microservices architecture
- Experience building and optimizing highly available distributed systems
- Experience applying best practices for cloud architecture (e.g. Google Cloud)
- Experience with security and compliance standards
- Experience designing systems that can scale horizontally and vertically
- Strong database skills in SQL, data architecture, and database optimizations
- A strong grasp of design patterns and domain-driven design
- Demonstrated career history as a thought leader at scale including conference speaking engagements, internal events, published blog posts, papers, etc
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- A Bachelor's or advanced degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.