Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
This is a junior or apprentice chef position, and provides the novice chef with an invaluable opportunity to learn about working in every area of the kitchen.
Specific Key Responsibilities
The primary objective of the commis chef is to learn how and to work in every area of the kitchen. In order to accomplish this, the commis chef will rotate throughout the kitchen, spending some time in one kitchen station before moving on to a different one. At each kitchen station, the commis chef has the opportunity to learn from different chefs who are in charge of that area. As the commis chef develops their skills as they rotate throughout the kitchen, they will consider which area they want to eventually specialize in.
This can be a challenging position, as at the beginning the chef is expected to absorb a great deal of information in a short amount of time.
- Must be able to learn different skills, practice, then implement the skills.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with other members of the kitchen staff.
- Must be able to gracefully receive constructive criticism as well as effectively carry out orders.
- Must be able to remain calm while multitasking, as they are often called upon to carry out many different orders simultaneously in a brief amount of time.
- Must be able to make decisions that will have positive effect on the operations.
- Like all members of the kitchen staff, the commis chef must maintain high standards of health and safety, including personal hygiene.
- Must perform many basic tasks of food preparation and organization in the kitchen. All these tasks are vital to the successful operation of the kitchen.
- Offering service to all Andelans with passion and without regard to their positions, background, gender etc
- Make sure that you leave your work area only after getting permission from your departmental head.
- Make sure that you are always in full and clean chefs uniform as prescribed i.e. chef’s hat, chef’s apron, chef’s pants, kitchen safety boots and torsion.
- Make sure that with the assistance of your HOD, you're always in possession of a valid food handlers certificate.
- Certificate in culinary expertise will be an added advantage
Physical Aspects of Position (include but are not limited to):
- Constant standing and walking throughout shift.
- Frequent lifting and carrying up to 30 lbs.
- Occasional kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting.
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.