Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
This position is responsible to assist the Executive Chef in kitchen operations. S/he will train and motivate staff to exceed goals.With focus on quality and production levels, the Sous Chef will lead the culinary team on their mission to exceed Andelans’ expectations related to food quality and dining experience.
Specific Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for the proper efficiency and functioning of the assigned kitchen.
- Supervises the work of Cooks and Pantry personal, remaining fair at all times.
- Ensure the highest quality and standard of food at all times.
- Test cooked food and check on its original appearance and freshness.
- Ensures that Mise-en-Place must be always well stocked & prepared.
- To be completely familiar with each section in the kitchen.
- Ensure care for equipment and follow up on all maintenance issues.
- Advise the Executive Chef on equipment issues & needs.
- Create new menus and promotions as required.
- Manage, train and develop the kitchen’s team, ensuring compliance with all hotel standards & policies.
- Meets guests to gain feedback and discuss special requests.
Qualifications & Experience
- With 2 – 3 years of experience in a similar role within a reputable hotel or a corporate set up.
- Hands on and able to give clear leadership & management to the team.
- Strong understanding of HACCP.
- Proven track record of cost control including food, equipment, labor and waste to meet the food quality and the hotel’s financial goals.
- Demonstrate real passion for menu planning and leadership.
- Diploma Certification in a Culinary discipline an asset.
- Computer literate.
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving abilities.
- Highly responsible & reliable.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work cohesively as part of a team.
- Ability to focus attention on guest needs, remaining calm and courteous at all times.
Physical Aspects of Position (include but are not limited to):
-Constant standing and walking throughout shift.
-Frequent lifting and carrying up to 30 lbs.
-Occasional kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting.
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation.
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily.
- Beautiful working environment.
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet.
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.