Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
Andela’s Technology department is charged with implementing products that will help Andela to scale with consistency and quality while providing excellent service internally and externally. It is responsible for finding the best solution for Andela’s needs, not necessarily the best solution that Andela can build.
In this role, you will primarily work as a Technical Team Lead within the Technology department leading a team of developers building a world-class software platform that supports all Andela internal products.
You’re the kind of person who:
- Believes that building great software is more than just delivering working code, that other aspects such as reusability, testability, maintainability, security, and performance are just as important.
- Is constantly learning and expanding your skill sets on and off the job.
- Can mentor entry-level developers willing to become world-class.
- is driven by purpose, passion, thirst for knowledge, and the pursuit of a better world.
- Responsible for the overall planning, execution and success of complex technical projects
- Work closely with the Technical Product Manager and Stakeholders to ensure we’re building the best platform that meets Andela’s needs
- Share responsibility for strategically scaling Andela’s internal platform
- Promote and nurture good team practices such as TDD, code reviews, and pair programming
- Bring vision to the team in the form of new technology recommendations, ideas and approaches
- Mentor entry-level developers willing to become world-class
- Responsible for the delivery of your work as well as any developers that work under you
Technologies we use
- gRPC, Protocol buffers
- Kubernetes, Google Pub/Sub
- The ability to be located in Nairobi, Kenya.
- 2-5 years of software development experience
- Experience leading a team of software engineers in an agile environment (daily standups, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc)
- Experience building scalable backend systems (e.g. microservices)
- Experience setting up and managing a continuous integration or a continuous delivery process
- Experience with microservices architectures, distributed systems, and messaging queues.
- TDD and pair programming experience
- A Bachelor's or advanced degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.