Andela is developing a corps of high-quality technology talent across the African continent that will drive the current and future phases of tech-enabled growth around the world. With the fastest growing population and highest youth population in the world, we believe Africa is one of the greatest untapped markets for talent development.
Andela advances human potential by powering today’s team and investing in tomorrow’s leaders. We recruit the most talented developers on the African continent, shape them into technology leaders, and place them as full-time distributed team members with companies that range from Microsoft and IBM to dozens of high-growth startups. Backed by Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV (Google Ventures) and Spark Capital, Andela is building the next generation of global technology leaders. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common.
About the Role
Andela’s Technology department is charged with implementing products that will help Andela to scale with consistency and quality while providing excellent service internally and externally. It is responsible for finding the best solution for Andela’s needs, not necessarily the best solution that Andela can build. In addition to helping Andela to scale, the Product team is also responsible for managing the products that our Apprentices work on as the final polishing step before deeming them ready for Partner work. The Vice President of Product will be responsible for managing the entire Technology department (Product, Technology Ops and Engineering) and interfacing with every aspect of Andela, ensuring that they know how each aspect of our business works and helping to determine how product can help that scale.
- Work with the CIO of Andela to shape and drive the product vision for Andela
- Help effectively communicate that vision and our progress towards it to the entire company
- For the Product Department:
- Ensure that product managers thoroughly understand the business units they are supporting and that they are driving product feature implementations that meet the needs of those business units as rapidly as possible
- Ensure that for each product decision, Andela is conducting a thorough review of the market and identifying potential products to buy that will help us implement a solution faster.
- Work closely with the Learning department to provide product managers who will help provide learning experiences for our developers
- Ensure proper support for implementing or building our technology solutions.
- Help set and continuously refine best in class software engineering practices
- 10+ years of experience in B2B and/or internal Product Management
- 5+ years in direct line management and managing and reporting on operational KPIs for both engineering and product organizations
- Extremely comfortable in the language of data analysis, and using data to drive decision making
- A track record of driving product strategy by developing a strong understanding of the business and what it takes to meet the business goals.
- Keen attention to detail, ability to be self-sufficient and find creative solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to a broad range of audiences particularly in a distributed environment
- Proven ability to manage to inspire teams to meet business commitments
- Passion for developing the next generation of technology leadership
- Strong creative, leadership and critical thinking skills
- Experience working in multiple countries and/or with international organizations
- A deep commitment to Andela’s mission.
- Willingness to travel on a regular basis between Andela’s development centers in Africa as well as to its US offices
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.