Andela was founded on a simple truth: brilliance is evenly distributed. We unlock that brilliance by giving global companies access to untapped talent across Africa and creating an on-ramp to the digital economy.
Andela extends engineering teams with our world-class software developers. We recruit the most talented developers on the African continent, shape them into technical leaders, and place them as full-time distributed team members with companies that range from Microsoft and IBM to dozens of high-growth startups. Backed by CRE Venture Capital, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV (Google Ventures) and Spark Capital, Andela is building the next generation of global technology leaders. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common. With over 500 technologists and both start up and Fortune 500 clients across the globe within just three years.
Andela is changing the way companies think about talent and about distributed work. You are someone who believes we can unlock this talent at scale in complex international environments, and you know that if we can, we must. Our vision is to shape 100,000 world-class developers in the next 10 years – and we need you to help make it happen.
The key attributes for this role are:
- Operational Excellence and Ability to build for scale. Whether in building your own company or previous experience working in operations at a company, you demonstrated expertise in designing and managing processes for scale, managing multi-million dollar budgets, and building lasting systems for strong personnel management. Specifically, you will support talent growth, ensure high staff and fellow retention rates, plan and manage the budget, and help scale operations in Uganda.
- Team building and cross-cultural skills. You should have significant experience leading strong teams; and you should be an expert at working with diverse groups of learners.
- A deep commitment to our mission. We are looking for a leader with evidence of operational skills, curiosity, and a commitment to building outstanding teams. You will have demonstrated an ability and interest in creating large-scale change. This could be seen through your involvement in building companies or non-profits and developing talent, whether in health care, education, politics, financial inclusion, or some other area that is meaningful to you.
Qualifications & Characteristics
- Top tier degree from a leading academic institution
- 7-10 years of professional experience in management consulting, operations, with strong leadership components
- Strategic thinker who can plan ahead
- Strong problem solver who can find multiple ways forward
- Analytical thinker who leverages data in decision making
- Strong leader who can win over a team and gain their trust quickly
- Excellent manager of finances to optimize expenditures
- Proven experience leading teams, building for scale and executing flawlessly
Lead all elements of Andela Uganda
- Lead and optimize every aspect of Andela’s Uganda business.
- Oversee management of all real estate, both office and residential including oversight of safety and security of all locations
- Lead key departments including facilities, IT, operations, travel, and Success
- Develop and maintain highly detailed budgets and timely financial projections
- Complete quarterly (or more) financial and operational reviews and reports for Andela Uganda
- Create valuable external relationships that help Andela scale and attract the best talent
Build strong processes and systems
- Maintain and create highly-structured processes, systems and recommendations with a data-driven approach
- Maintain and create “playbooks,” detailed manuals that document all relevant parts of the Andela model operation within Uganda; continually update and improve manuals in preparation for training other teams
- Build systems and processes that successfully inform global teams and eventually other locations of all topline recurring indicators of success and that explain and troubleshoot any major outliers or obstacles to success
Support world-class tech learning program by overseeing the well-being and pipeline of all Fellows through learning and into placement.
- Collaborate with talent team to ensure recruitment numbers and quality meets expectations
- Oversee the integration of total employment packages to employees including health care, savings plans, residential options and more
Manage, coach and mentor a strong team.
- Manage all Andela Uganda staff at primary location, including Operations, P&C, Facilities, IT, Success, among others.
- Provide structured evaluations of employee performance at least twice a year
- Suggest and create job descriptions, screen candidates and make recommendations for any needed roles in addition to existing team
Support and scope out expansion to other locations in your country and region.
- Make recommendations to Andela leadership about future locations in Uganda
- Be part of a larger team to design and execute Andela’s growth strategy
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.