Andela extends engineering teams with world-class software developers. We recruit the most talented developers on the African continent, shape them into technical leaders, and place them as full-time distributed team members with companies that range from Microsoft and IBM to dozens of high-growth startups. Backed by Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV (Google Ventures) and Spark Capital, Andela is building the next generation of global technology leaders. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common. We have a vision to train 100,000 world-class developers in the next 10 years – and we want you to help make it happen.
You are an inspirational people manager and a thoughtful, data-driven leader of program designers and program managers. You thrive when providing coaching and defining structure for growing teams. You understand that what gets measured is what gets achieved and you balance a ruthless focus on the numbers with a willingness to explore, test, and pilot innovations that create opportunities to 10x existing initiatives.
You are deeply aligned with Andela’s core values and believe strongly in developing and investing in diverse communities of talent. Inclusivity and impact are two of your driving forces. You care for, believe in, and understand the future of Africa’s technology scene are comfortable talking the talk with global technologists and are committed to leadership in support of others.
About the Role:
The Talent Director, Fellowship, is responsible for applying business strategy and operations skills to the challenge of designing and implementing structured, scalable programs that attract a broad, diverse group of aspiring African Technologists and prepare them for the Andela Fellowship, as well as opportunities in their local ecosystems, and the global economy.
Ensure the success of Andela Fellowship quality and quantity metrics
- Provide support to country community managers to ensure that each country attains its core Fellowship quality and quantity metrics
- Inspire and design initiatives to improve definition and performance with respect to diversity (geographic, religious, gender, etc.)
- Resolve cross-locational concerns or blockers that prevent country managers from building and driving their programs of community development
Ensure the effective design, implementation, and scalability of pre-Fellowship programs
- Design systems that enable enough facilitation hours to effectively invest in learners to get them fit for fellowship
- Iterate program design and program management methods to improve efficiency and scale reach 10x+
- Work with interdepartmental teams to ensure tracking, transitions and timelines at a continental level
Lead, coach and mentor a strong team.
- Provide coaching, guidance, and feedback that empowers all team members to realize their full potential and achieve advancement to higher levels of responsibility and accountability
- Support the refinement of job descriptions, performance management frameworks, and tools that create role clarity and a high performance environment
The key attributes for this role are:
- Strategic Thinking. You have a strong ability to think strategically and plan for the future. You are able to assess trade-offs, risks, opportunities, and can see the big picture clearly even while getting through the day to day hurdles.
- Operational Excellence. You have demonstrated expertise in designing and managing processes for scale, managing budgets, and building lasting systems for strong personnel management.
- Team building and cross-cultural skills. You have significant experience leading strong teams; and demonstrate an understanding of what it takes to build high performance teams A deep commitment to our mission. We are looking for a leader with evidence of curiosity, and a deep commitment to lifelong learning.
- Experience: You have 7+ years of full-time work experience including experiences managing operations, including detailed budgeting and reporting in a complex environment, rapidly scaling projects and teams and operating with efficiency and cross-cultural understanding in markets across Africa
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.