Andela extends engineering teams with world-class software developers. We recruit the most talented developers on the African continent, shape them into technical leaders, and place them as full-time distributed team members with companies that range from Microsoft and IBM to dozens of high-growth startups. Backed by Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV (Google Ventures) and Spark Capital, Andela is building the next generation of global technology leaders. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common. We have a vision to train 100,000 world-class developers in the next 10 years – and we want you to help make it happen.
About the Role:
Andela is hiring a Director of Operations, a seasoned professional who is passionate about building the next generation of technology and business leaders in Africa. Andela is in the process of developing and solidifying its presence in Kampala. As the Director of Operations, you will be responsible for ensuring that this start-up operation not only comes to fruition but is run at world class levels. That we are able to continuously and very effectively stride towards our constant unlocking of world class talent, with the utmost efficiency.
You bring more than passion to the role: you are a world-class leader with exceptional operational expertise and demonstrated strong leadership skills. You’re an expert in building and managing complex operations and developing the processes necessary for scale. You know how to think – and act – big, while holding a strong moral compass in everything you do.
The key attributes for this role are:
- Strategic Thinking. You have a strong ability to think strategically and plan for the future. You are able to assess trade-offs, risks, opportunities, and can see the big picture clearly even while getting through the day to day hurdles.
- Operational Excellence. Whether in building your own company or previous experience working in operations at a company, you demonstrated expertise in designing and managing processes for scale, managing budgets, and building lasting systems for strong personnel management.
- Demonstrated ability to build and scale organizations or initiatives. You are entrepreneurial and creative, eager to find ways to develop talent, build a team, and set up a business for scale. You have strong business skills and will be comfortable engaging multiple teams who are core to the success of Andela. You have a natural ability to work across borders to connect with our global team to help scale our operations in Uganda and around the world.
- Team building and cross-cultural skills. You should have significant experience leading strong teams; and you should be an expert at working with diverse groups of learners. It is also important that you have a demonstrated understanding of what it takes to build high performance teams and a best in class operations department.
- A deep commitment to our mission. We are looking for a leader with evidence of curiosity, and a deep commitment to lifelong learning. You will have demonstrated an ability and interest in creating large-scale change and impact. This could be seen through your involvement in building organizations, companies or non-profits and developing talent in some area that is meaningful to you.
Your day-to-day would have you:
Lead all operational elements of Andela Uganda
- Lead the running of all operational aspects of the business in Uganda.
- Optimize current operational activities and make adjustment based on learnings
- Oversee the facilities and real estate team, including both office and residential properties to ensure safety and security across multiple locations
- Develop and maintain highly detailed budgets and timely financial projections
- Complete quarterly financial and operational reviews and reports
Build strong processes and systems.
- Maintain and create highly-structured processes and systems with a data-driven approach
- Maintain and create “playbooks,” detailed manuals that document all relevant parts of the Andela operating model; continually update and improve manuals in preparation for supporting other teams
- Collaborate cross-border with the Country Directors, VP of Ops, and COO to build systems and processes that successfully communicate all topline recurring indicators of success and that explain and troubleshoot any major outliers or obstacles to success
Support world-class tech training program by overseeing the well-being and pipeline of all Fellows through learning and career development:
- Keep recruitment and training on schedule
- Oversee process of transitioning trainees from Boot Camps into longer training (and eventually employment) including the integration of professional development and client-facing skills
- Oversee the integration of total employment packages to employees including health care, savings plans, residential options and more
- Work with interdepartmental teams to ensure tracking, transitions and timelines
- Convey any challenges to the full team including Andela leadership
Manage, coach and mentor a strong team.
- Manage all operations staff members including facilities, logistics, and other cross-functional teams
- Provide structured evaluations of employee performance at least twice a year
- Suggest and create job descriptions, screen candidates and make recommendations for any needed roles in addition to existing team
Ideal candidates for this role will have:
- 7+ years of post-undergraduate, full-time work experience
- Experience managing operations, including detailed budgeting and reporting, in a complex environment
- Experience rapidly growing /scaling a project
- Experience developing and managing a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Experience managing and coordinating teams to deliver on a tight schedule
- Work and living experience in emerging markets, particularly in Uganda or elsewhere in Africa
- Record of strong academic performance from a leading undergraduate and, if attended, graduate institution
- Experience at start-ups a plus, but not required
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status