Andela exists to connect brilliance and opportunity. Since 2014, we have been dedicated to breaking down global barriers and accelerating the future of work for both technologists and organizations around the world.
For technologists, Andela offers competitive long term career opportunities with leading organizations, access to a global community of professionals, and education opportunities with leading technology providers.
For companies, Andela provides access to a global network of fully integrated team members that unlock their business’ innovation and growth potential.
At Andela, we are deeply passionate about creating long-lasting and transformative growth opportunities for all and doing it in an E.P.I.C. [andela.com/careers] way.
We are excited to continue building our remote first team with incredible people like you!
Our Legal Team:
Our growing legal counsel team is a small but mighty team of legal professionals helping build remote engineering teams to ensure that opportunity is evenly distributed across the world. The group is located remotely in the U.S. (East Coast) and Nigeria (Lagos), and we collaborate closely together and with the business. We believe strongly in working from our Andela EPIC Values and developing a unique, diverse and equitable Andela culture. Our team values flexibility and thrives in an environment that is constantly expanding and changing as Andela grows. We have integrity, excellent judgment, and are committed to excellence and rigour in our work. We seek intellectual curiosity balanced by an entrepreneurial attitude and look for ways to innovate in our practice.
The Paralegal will be responsible for providing legal assistance to Andela’s growing 6-member Legal & Compliance department.
Andela is recruiting for a Paralegal (3+ years of experience) to join its growing Legal team, working remotely. This position will report directly to the Associate General Counsel. This role provides administrative support and project management to the internal Legal and Compliance team, as well as support to internal clients at various levels in the company. Among other things, the ideal candidate will possess business savvy, be able to understand and recommend constructive solutions to sophisticated issues, apply a driven approach to get things done, and exhibit an ability to balance legal and business perspectives so as not to interfere with the flow of the business.
As a Legal Assistant / Paralegal You Will:
- Coordinate strategic Legal / Compliance projects and initiatives, including defining workflows, partners and achievements, tracking tasks, identifying risks and managing deadlines.
- Coordinate projects with outside counsel, third-party vendors and collaborators.
- Conduct research and compile data from legal sources.
- Acts as an information source on Legal / Compliance policies and procedures.
- Assist with general compliance and corporate governance matters for Andela including our international subsidiaries, including obtaining notarizations, apostilles, formation documents, certified copies, corporate filings and other corporate documents, and creation of organization charts.
- Maintain corporate records and legal calendar for any required government filings, board meetings, and corporate obligations.
- Assist in preparing materials for Andela’s quarterly board of directors and committee meetings.
- Supervise control processes, including the opportunity to review disclosure certifications and prepare for the registration process.
- Leverage and administer Andela’s contracts management system, including document review and tracking of existing agreements, to ensure contract compliance (e.g., exclusivity provisions, termination dates, renewals, etc.)
- Handle and maintain legal files and templates for agreements, amendments and statements of work.
- Assemble, proof and edit drafts of certain contracts, Non-Disclosure Agreements.
- Route, coordinate and obtain all approvals and signatures for the execution of agreements.
- Assist with due diligence, document preparation and execution, and closing and integration for acquisitions and corporate transactions.
- Assists attorneys on wide range of topics, including litigation, privacy, and regulatory matters.
- Perform other administrative functions for Legal and Compliance teams, as the need arises.
Job Qualifications / Experience Requirements:
- 3+ years of relevant legal experience working in a law firm, in-house legal environment or similar function.
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, fast-paced and global environment.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and efficiently project manage a variety of ongoing projects at the same time.
- Ability to translate strategic goals into plans and actionable objectives.
- Excellent communication (verbal, written and listening) skills and the ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Self-motivated and able to work remotely and independently, but also to accept direction from the Associate General Counsel and other members of the Legal and Compliance teams.
- Collegial style, team player with independent judgment.
- Knowledge of office automation equipment/software related to legal function (including but not limited to, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, DocuSign).
- Demonstrated aptitude for process development and coordinating workflows across multiple internal and external organizations.
- Ability to perform basic legal tasks under attorney supervision.
- Excellent research skills; resourceful.
- Direct experience implementing and running legal team technology, a plus (e.g., workflow automation, CLM, document management, or knowledge management).
- Fully Remote work culture - we hire globally and all of our roles are fully remote!
- Bring your own device stipend - buy your own laptop with funds from Andela
- Quarterly work from home stipends
- Flexible working hours
- Equity (as a part of compensation package)
- Healthcare, 401k / pension (US only)
- Andela Affinity Groups
- Growth & development paths
- Generous Paid Time Off, Parental Leave, Compassionate Leave
- And more to come! We're on a journey to reimagine global benefits at Andela
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lie in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.