Andela exists to connect brilliance and opportunity. Since 2014, we have been dedicated to breaking down global barriers and accelerating the future of work for both technologists and organizations around the world.
For technologists, Andela offers competitive long term career opportunities with leading organizations, access to a global community of professionals, and education opportunities with leading technology providers.
For companies, Andela provides access to a global network of fully integrated team members that unlock their business’ innovation and growth potential.
At Andela, we are deeply passionate about creating long-lasting and transformative growth opportunities for all and doing it in an E.P.I.C. [andela.com/careers] way.
We are excited to continue building our remote first team with incredible people like you!
What you’ll do:
This multifaceted role is responsible for translating sophisticated business requirements into valuable data designs, as well as implementing and delivering the required engineering underpinnings to support the analytical and data-driven nature of the enterprise. The role will be tasked with gleaning insights from the inherent data and building sophisticated translations to address current business challenges and future desires.
Who you are:
- Hands-on developer and teammate with passion for working on a variety of data projects.
- Communicates directly and maintains flexibility with business to meet desired outcomes.
- Supports colleagues in building strong functional requirements and provides insight as a technical liaison with respect to delivery options and opportunities.
- Articulates advantages and disadvantages of data design approaches and modeling methodologies.
- Maintains metadata catalog in an effort to support a scalable self-service analytics environment.
- Ensures that technical requirements and standard methodologies are met and deployed within the context of the data teams standards.
- Conducts code reviews, provides advice, and gives constructive feedback to fellow analytical engineers.
- Crafts open dialogues and discourses with data team leads to remove much of the opacity in directional decision making.
- Supports the drive for innovation through identifying emerging trends and their alignment to business outcomes.
- Builds trust in all interactions and always strives to improve the team around you.
- Passion for leaving the code base better than it was found.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, mathematics, business, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Maintains a validated command of ANSI SQL, and Python experience is a plus.
- Experience with cloud data platforms, e.g. GCP Big Query, Azure Synapse, or AWS Redshift.
- Experience working with data integration tools, e.g. such as Fivetran, DBT, or Matillion.
- Experienced across all phases of data modeling, from conceptual designs to physical designs.
- Understanding of modern data architecture and engineering concepts such as streaming, schema-on-read, and real-time data access.
- Ability to assess business needs and translate them into appropriate data designs.
- Experience researching performance bottlenecks, diagnosing problems, and articulating viable solutions to implement.
- Knowledge of how to assess the performance of data solutions, how to diagnose performance problems, and tools used to supervise and tune performance.
- General understanding of distributed version control systems, e.g. Git.
- Desire to work in a constantly evolving environment and maintain the ability to adjust in new directions as business needs are altered.
- Ability to lead, handle, coach, mentor, and empower team members on a global scale.
- Fully Remote work culture - we hire globally and all of our roles are fully remote!
- Bring your own device stipend - buy your own laptop with funds from Andela
- Quarterly work from home stipends
- Flexible working hours
- Equity (as a part of compensation package)
- Healthcare, 401k / pension (US only)
- Andela Affinity Groups
- Growth & development paths
- Generous Paid Time Off, Parental Leave, Compassionate Leave
- And more to come! We're on a journey to reimagine global benefits at Andela
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lie in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.