Andela exists to connect brilliance and opportunity. Since 2014, we have been dedicated to breaking down global barriers and accelerating the future of work for both technologists and organizations around the world.
For technologists, Andela offers competitive long term career opportunities with leading organizations, access to a global community of professionals, and education opportunities with leading technology providers.
For companies, Andela provides access to a global network of fully integrated team members that unlock their business’ innovation and growth potential.
At Andela, we are deeply passionate about creating long-lasting and transformative growth opportunities for all and doing it in an E.P.I.C. [andela.com/careers] way.
We are excited to continue building our remote first team with incredible people like you!
What You’ll Do
Andela’s Product department is charged with implementing products that will help Andela to scale with consistency and quality, while providing excellent service internally and externally. We are building a technology powered marketplace to connect talent with opportunity.
In this role, you will work as an Engineering Manager managing from 1 to 2 PODs which usually consists of 6-7 people.
- Manage engineers
- Manage team members with different skill sets and technical areas of focus
- Mentor and coach the engineers and ensure their success
- Encourage and promote best engineering practices
- Encourage a data-driven culture to improve the efficiency, scalability, and stability of our products
- Support engineers in identifying, resolving and escalating issues that impact their work
- Manage and track engineers on performance and career development
- Provide technical leadership and guidance
- Unblock engineers on complex issues via pair programming and design sessions
- Review architecture and design design approaches for the engineering team
- Provide scoping and estimation feedback to the business
- Make technology choices working with the team members
- Drive issue resolution and ensure production system uptime
- Manage, measure and improve engineering processes
- Continuously improves Andelas software development lifecycle processes
- Improve release planning and sprint execution
- Drive prioritization and issue resolution approaches
- Collaborate with key stakeholders within and across department
- Ensure collaboration with Engineer leadership and across Engineering teams
- Advocate for and ensure prioritization of technical initiatives working with Product Managers.
- Recruit talent
- Identify potential candidates that best fit our roles (e.g. team leads, senior engineers)
- Interview and evaluate prospective talent to ensure fit
- Highly-technical software engineer and an effective people manager
- 5-7 years of software development experience
- 3+ years experience managing and growing software engineering teams as a people manager
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- A strong desire to mentor developers
- Have ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Have strong leadership skills.
What Technologies You’ll Work With
We are building applications using modern tools and technologies. Our primary app is Node.js based. On the backend we have multiple teams using a combination of architectural patterns ranging from multi-tiered to micro-services, and utilizing technologies like PostgreSQL, NoSQL databases, async inter-process communication (pub/sub), Python, Django. On the frontend we mainly use React.js. The platform is deployed to Google Cloud Platform (GCP), using a modern CI/CD pipeline (Docker, Kubernetes, CircleCI, CodeClimate, Cloud Functions, GitHub Actions, Cloud Run). Our tools and technologies are as follows:
- React, OpenAPI, FastAPI, REST
- Postgres, Firestore
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Cloud based CI/CD tools, CircleCI, CodeClimate
- Cloud Functions, Cloud Run, GitHub Actions
- Fully Remote work culture - we hire globally and all of our roles are fully remote!
- Bring your own device stipend - buy your own laptop with funds from Andela
- Quarterly work from home stipends
- Flexible working hours
- Equity (as a part of compensation package)
- Healthcare, 401k / pension (US only)
- Andela Affinity Groups
- Growth & development paths
- Generous Paid Time Off, Parental Leave, Compassionate Leave
- And more to come! We're on a journey to reimagine global benefits at Andela
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lie in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.