Director, Data Engineering
Andela exists to connect brilliance and opportunity. Since 2014, we have been dedicated to breaking down global barriers and accelerating the future of work for both technologists and organizations around the world.
For technologists, Andela offers competitive long term career opportunities with leading organizations, access to a global community of professionals, and education opportunities with leading technology providers.
For companies, Andela provides access to a global network of fully integrated team members that unlock their business’ innovation and growth potential.
At Andela, we are deeply passionate about creating long-lasting and transformative growth opportunities for all and doing it in an E.P.I.C. [andela.com/careers] way.
We are excited to continue building our team with incredible people like you!
Data & Analytics at Andela:
Data at Andela is our most important currency, and our data engineering team is responsible for bringing all of that together for us. Our Data and Analytics team works to serve the business the truth on our performance, advise our product teams on new technology and frameworks, and gather information from internal and external sources to influence commercial decisions across the organization.
As a senior leader, you will combine your years of proven expertise with a never-ending quest to create innovative technology through solid engineering practices. With your deep knowledge of design, analytics, development, coding, testing, and application programming, your team will raise their game even more, meeting your standards, as well as satisfying both business and functional requirements. Your passion and experience in one or more technology domains will help solve complex and mission critical problems, internally and externally. As a constant learner and early adopter, you're already embracing leading-edge technologies and methodologies; your example encourages others to follow suit.
What you'll do:
- Be a technical leader within organization to design and implement enterprise-wide data engineering solutions
- Develop a strategy to ensure that Andela becomes an industry leader in analytics capabilities.
- Recruit, mentor, and retain a world-class data engineering team to operationalize Andela’s data for real-time decision making
- Coordinate and collaborate with peers within the data organization to balance strategic initiatives with urgent requests
- Work closely with Product teams to design efficient data structure to support the
Who you are:
- 10+ experience building delivering data engineering solutions at enterprise scale
- 7+ years experience designing enterprise data solutions to solve complex business problems
- Proven experience as a successful data engineering leader
- Familiarity of programming languages like Java, Scala, Python and Open Source RDBMS, NoSQL databases and Cloud based data warehousing services such as Google BigQuery
- Advanced knowledge of ETL patterns and frameworks and technologies.
- Knowledge of middleware software for SaaS point-to-point message communication
- Strong coordination and influencing skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information clearly and concisely
- Interested in sharing your passion for staying on top of tech trends, experimenting with and learning new technologies, participating in internal & external technology communities
Preferred additional qualifications:
- Exposure to Looker
- Experience servicing stakeholders in high-growth startup environments
- Experience with marketplace economics
- Experience in operationalizing and scaling machine models.
- Experience in stream processing systems such as Kafka, Kinesis, Spark Streaming or similar
- Fully Remote work culture
- A fair and competitive salary
- Bring your own device stipend - buy your own laptop with funds from Andela
- Quarterly work from home stipends
- Paid time off
- Additional paid holidays
- Flexible working hours
- Health insurance (country-specific)
- 401k (US only)
- Andela Affinity Groups
- And more!
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.