Senior People Operations Coordinator, Global
Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems, and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from emerging markets and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200 tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative, and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the Role:
The People Team at Andela is seeking a Senior People Operations Coordinator to work with the global People Operations Team to build our organizational capacity and ensure we are creating an environment in which our staff can realize their full potential. This role is the perfect opportunity for a growing HR professional interested in learning how fast-paced people operations are executed at a high level in a global technology company. To be successful in this role, the right candidate will bring knowledge and experience in providing People generalist support in our locations in East/North Africa (Egypt, Rwanda, Uganda) and Europe across key functional areas, including Payroll, employee relations onboarding, Project management, People operations, and HRIS expertise.
This role will be responsible for:
Pre-boarding, Onboarding & Confirmations
- Collaboration with the global onboarding team and supporting onboarding sessions
- Systems set-up for Andela new joiners
- Pre-requisite documentation for new Andelans
- Facilitating background checks for new joiners before they join
- Collaborating with the payroll team for new joiners payroll inputs
- Induction evaluation and 30-60-90 days check-ins
- Ensuring timely confirmations or extensions, proper documentation, and system updates
- Conducting employee exit interviews
- Facilitating clearance and handover – ensuring offboarding email procedures are sent out in a timely manner including the return of work tools, issuance of certificates of service, offboarding documentation, etc.
- Offboarding from the systems and managing payroll exit changes
- End-to-end management of payroll in designated locations (which includes and is not limited to creating contractors on our payment platform, managing compensation changes, terminating contracts, contract amendments, new hires, bonuses, etc.)
- Respond to employee payroll queries
- Research on payroll best practice and advise on compliance with regulatory policies
Compliance & audit
- Leading/supporting the annual internal/external audits
- Ensuring legal compliance
Global projects & strategic aspects
- Exposure to/inclusion in strategic global projects
- Collaboration with the wider global People team and other stakeholders
- Taking the lead on some global projects when called upon or as assigned
Benefits administration & management
- Administer employee benefits
- Add and remove employees or their dependents on medical cover
- Addressing employee queries on their benefits
- Renewal of benefits with service providers
- Liaison with service providers and stakeholder management
- Research on benefits administration best practices and proposals/advise on the same for continuous improvement
- Managing and responding to the People helpdesk requests and resolving them within the timelines as per the SLA
- Drafting and submitting employee letters for review and signature – bank letters, employment Letters, promotion letters, role or job change letters, visa letters, etc.
- Contracts management includes but not limited to drafting contract renewals & addendums for review and signature
- Immigration stakeholder management
Other responsibilities as assigned and required to support the People Operations team.
- BS/BA degree in Human Resources, Social Sciences or its recognized equivalent with 4 years of relevant experience. Or MS/MA degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Social Sciences or its recognized equivalent, and 3-5 years in HR operations/shared services
- Good working knowledge of BambooHR, Small improvements, and other HRIS systems is an added advantage
- Working proficiency of Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets and PowerPoint/Google Slides for adequate data reporting
- Experience working in a distributed and diverse work environment. Experience in East/North Africa and/or Europe is an added advantage
- Attention to details
- Keen ability to proactively address potential process issues
- Consistent demonstration of behaviours that positively impact overall work environment and are committed to improving internal/external customer experience
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and persuasive manner across mediums, to build shared understanding of work, resulting in effective execution
- Ability to deliver results even amidst changing business priorities by understanding rationale behind change, improvising, raising timely red flags, and brainstorming with others to propose solutions
- Ability to consistently work with others to seek and give effective feedback, to help both self and others identify gaps and build required skills.
This is a fully remote, work-from-home role.
Andela provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.