Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was ten years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peak behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and the businesses that will power tomorrow’s economy. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2021.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from Africa and other emerging markets and placed them as full-time, embedded members of software development teams at over 200 tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative, and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the role:
Andela is seeking a leader for our People Operations & Experience team as we scale from operating in 7 countries to a truly global, fully-remote model. You will own the strategy and implementation of key processes, programs, and policies that enable the People team to operate effectively and deliver a seamless world-class employee experience. You will have the opportunity to shape the strategy and adapt an existing operating model to be best in class. You will also partner with the other People leads to drive the People strategy and operations. Andela is experiencing rapid growth and expansion--we are looking for a leader who is excited to tackle dynamic challenges on a global stage and develop innovative solutions that power our business.
- You will shape and define the overall People Operations and Experience team strategy and operating model - you will have the opportunity to define the strategy and operating model for the team, which will initially include but is not limited to: Total Rewards, Onboarding, Offboarding, Payroll, Compliance & Policy, Immigration, HR Service Desk, and HR Technology & Analytics.
- You will lead a distributed, global team of ~10, with the opportunity to grow the team.
- You will drive process design and implementation - You will design and implement high-quality, technology-enabled processes that drive efficiency for the People team, our employees, and key business functions. You will partner closely with leaders across Recruiting, HRBP, and People Programs to define process objectives and success metrics that ensure success.
- You will oversee all compensation and benefits strategy and administration, including the evolution of our global compensation philosophy, periodic benchmarking exercises, equity, local and global benefits programs.
- You will enable a data-driven People team, including building and maintaining all people analytics systems and processes and providing regular reporting on KPIs.
- You will ensure that our HR technology is optimized to meet the needs of our business and employees.
- You will shape the strategy for critical business initiatives - the People team is a key player in driving the successful execution of key business initiatives such as international expansion. You will have the opportunity to help shape the strategy for these initiatives, often with the opportunity to build from the ground up.
This role is a key leadership role for the People team and reports to the Head of People.
- You have 7-10 years progressive experience leading a people operations function with specific experience in designing and implementing an efficient and effective people operations function for a rapidly scaling organization. You have a strong understanding of technical HR fundamentals.
- You combine a strategic mindset with a relentless focus on execution. You build systems and processes that go from “scrappy” to “scaled.” A systems thinker, you connect the dots between business needs and efficient, tech-enabled solutions. You make sure the day-to-day gets done while always finding new ways to level up.
- You have a structured, business-oriented problem solving approach and proven experience in executing a functional strategy to drive tangible results in a fast-paced environment, balanced by an appreciation for complexity and risk.
- You have demonstrated success in driving large cross-functional initiatives for which there wasn’t a pre-existing playbook.
- You’re a strong collaborator and communicator. You build consultative relationships with stakeholders at a variety of levels.
- You love measuring impact. You leverage data from a range of sources to tell a story, drive alignment, and implement change.
- You are a strong leader with a track record of building and growing high performing teams. You care deeply about your team and their growth.
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lie in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.