Marc Andresson, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was ten years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day experiences, and few industries are immune. Peak behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2021.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified thousands of software engineers around the world and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200+ companies. Along the way, we have raised over $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the Role
The Director, People Business Partnership role supports one of Andela’s global functions, specifically Revenue, by being a trusted business partner to multiple leaders, managers and employees in the function. He/she plays a critical role in the design and implementation of strategic talent initiatives to drive the success of our evolving global Revenue org. The role offers the opportunity to innovate alongside a stellar growing team and equally passionate and driven leaders and managers. No two days will be the same and the work is challenging and rewarding.
You will act as a primary point of contact for our global Revenue leaders and their teams, serving as a connector to internal functions, and as an advisor on all people processes, procedures, and initiatives.
The Director, People Business Partner will be a key driver of talent management and change management across their population(s) influencing a high growth- and performance-oriented culture. In addition, you will provide coaching and mentorship to other HRBPs supporting Revenue, and serve as the primary point of contact for key strategic initiatives and programs specific to our US operations.
This role reports into a member of the global People leadership team.
Strategy Development and Implementation
- Work closely with People and Functional Leadership to understand organizational challenges and design/implement creative solutions
- Coordinate and support the implementation of strategic initiatives within your assigned client population(s) and more broadly
Org Design & Talent Management
- Support leaders and managers in driving engagement and retention within their respective organizations
- Connect employees and managers to compelling learning and development opportunities including mentorship, coaching for performance and growth and advising on career opportunities
- Support leaders and managers on facilitating talent mapping and reviews, and ensuring talent outcomes and actions are implemented
- Develop and implement org design and/or effectiveness, workforce retention, career navigation and succession interventions/strategies as required
- Drive equality, diversity, and inclusion throughout all of our programs and initiatives
- Support employees and managers within your population(s) to cultivate a high growth- and performance-oriented culture, and ensure that performance management experiences are effective and empowering, prioritising fairness and objectivity
- Advise managers on team performance management via a data driven approach
- Support proactively to identify underperformance and address thoughtfully, and manage underperformance professionally and swiftly when identified
Employee Relations - Coach, Inspire, Influence
- Provide dedicated coaching to multiple managers and employees within your population(s) with a specific focus on employee advocacy, HR fundamentals and process training, employee relations management, and workplace investigations as appropriate
- Provide advice and counsel to managers and employees to ensure consistent application and integration of policies, procedures and practices at 100% compliance to promote an ethical and compliant work environment
- Ensure that all employee relations issues are properly identified, reported, investigated and resolved, and serve as an escalation point for your population(s)
- Build and maintain healthy relationships with key stakeholders
- Coach leaders/managers on proper management and communication practices
- Work closely and effectively with other PBPs, People Operations, and the wider People team team to identify best practices and use it to define effective business interventions
- Coordinate and support the implementation and delivery of key strategic initiatives as assigned, including identifying risks and impact to delivery, as well as tracking and reporting progress and outcomes
- Implement effective change management strategies, providing subject matter expertise on risk mitigation and change delivery
- 8+ years relevant experience, with preferably a minimum of 3 years in an advisory HRM/HRBP role supporting executive and senior leaders in fast-moving organizations. Preferred prior experience working with global sales/commercial teams with particular focus on SMB & Enterprise Sales, and Customer Success
- Experience partnering with Revenue leadership teams on sales compensation, plans, and data/analysis
- Solid track record in design and implementation of talent management strategies that have meaningfully impacted the individual and organization experience; previous experience in coaching employees/managers through complex, difficult issues and creating effective working partnerships with senior leaders
- Knowledge of US employment regulations/statutes and capacity to apply them to Andela. Ability to adapt applicable global labor laws into local practices as required. Experience with other international countries a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (both verbal and written) skills, ability to present and facilitate effectively, and stellar emotional intelligence with a specific focus on self moderation, cultivating relationships and empathy.
- Experience in a challenging, fast-changing, complex and matrixed business environment with a special focus on multiculturalism (and internationalism)
- Previous HR project management experience, including demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with different stakeholder sets, would be a plus
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.