Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peak behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from emerging markets and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200+ tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
We’re looking for a Senior Program Manager to join our growing Technology team.
In this role, you will work closely with stakeholders across the product, engineering, customer support, and business operations teams to define requirements, plan development and delivery of software releases, and manage ongoing support to systems and products. We’re looking for someone who is a natural leader, ready to help us establish and implement new program frameworks and development best practices and who can really supercharge our product development efforts as the company rapidly grows. We need problem solvers, creative thinkers, multitaskers, and people who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty - you must be able to adapt and ready for constant change as we continue to quickly scale.
If this sounds like you, keep reading - we want to hear from you! We are a fully remote company and you can truly live anywhere while doing this job. English fluency is required.
- Partner with engineering and product teams to help plan, develop, track, release, and support high quality products for our users
- Own the timeline and delivery for several concurrent initiatives and maintain constant communication on all
- Report on project success criteria results and metrics, as well as test and deployment standards
- Support, evangelize, and take a deep sense of ownership for the different phases of Andela’s Product Development Process
- Assist with the intake, triage, and prioritization of product support issues
- Provide status reporting and communication regarding project milestones, deliverables, dependencies, risks and issues, across Andela leadership
- Provide business insight into expected release dates by developing and communicating Release Plans for all major product initiatives
- Help define and track quarterly and annual engineering and product metrics that align to business outcomes, and communicate those internally
- Manage cross-functional programs for the Product and Engineering organizations, with shared ownership of the program roadmap
- Work with Product and Product Marketing on launch and adoption of new features.
- Establish and maintain credibility within engineering, the business, and our users by delivering on what you say you are going to do
- Always be improving our processes, practices, and tech culture so that we are on top of our game; employing repeatable frameworks where possible
- Help drive common and repeatable approaches that make it simpler for the teams and leaders, allowing them to focus on big picture problems.
In the first week:
- Onboard and integrate into Andela.
- Learn about Andela’s existing product suite and program frameworks.
- Become acquainted with your peers, teams, stakeholders, and your initial goals.
In the first month:
- Start collaborating closely with the product and engineering teams you’ll be working with to familiarize yourself with the goals, roadmap, and processes.
- Get involved with the planning of the upcoming release and start to help formulate the release plan.
- Form relationships with your product, engineering, and business stakeholders.
In the first three months:
- Launch your first release to a plan that is accurate and well understood by all stakeholders.
- Take ownership of program progress meetings, end of sprint ceremonies, and cross-functional communication channels.
- Define a communication plan for all initiatives that is clear, concise, and complete.
- Run stakeholder meetings/initiatives to evangelize and push adoption of the product roadmap.
- Report development progress and estimated delivery to the business and to our users.
- Assist with the launch and adoption of new features.
In the first six months:
- Establish yourself as a well known, key player within the program team and within Andela, and as a trusted advisor to product and engineering leadership.
- Continue to optimize product delivery by supporting with ongoing estimates and coordination of product releases.
- Improve the speed at which we address and resolve support issues.
In the first year:
- Deliver, deliver, deliver! You are a trusted and highly valued Andelan and our team relies on you to consistently shepherd the release of high quality products that our users love.
- Continuously strive to scale and improve the team and its processes, meeting the growing needs of the business and our users.
- 5+ years of program and/or project management experience working with cross functional teams across product and technology
- Experience with Agile and Scrum software development methodologies
- Successful management of 3+ concurrent initiatives with different stakeholders and teams for each, ensuring each initiative is kept on schedule and within defined scope
- Strong leadership and motivational skills including the ability to lead up, across and down multiple arms of the Andela organization
- Detail oriented and a high bar for quality when it comes to building release plans, release management, creating launch assets, and reporting progress to stakeholders; with the ability to also build repeatable frameworks for building and communicating overall project direction and strategy
- Strong project management skills with the ability to identify and communicate blockers, next steps, and progress
- Technical fluency; you don’t have to be an engineer, but you do need to speak the language
- Consensus-builder; develops relationships across the company with ease
- Self-motivated with the ability to adapt to change and lead others towards a successful outcome
- Strong analytical skills and fluency with data, with the ability to use a variety of tools to gather and synthesize information (experience with Google Analytics, BigQuery, Looker a major plus).
- Excellent written and verbal communication with a tendency to over-document and over-communicate: we are fully remote, so this is very important!
- Humble and willing to learn/grow. We need confident and capable leaders who want to help each other succeed as much as they want to help our talent succeed.
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.