Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code, and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader, and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry, and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems, and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from emerging markets and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200 tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative, and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the role:
The Profile Creator Specialist is responsible for ensuring that all engineers entering the Andela Talent Network have properly populated profiles that contain all relevant career information. You will use your research and discernment skills to confirm that all profiles closely align and adhere to our quality guidelines and will work closely with our screening and staffing teams to achieve this.
The Profile Creator Specialist role requires an inquisitive, communicative, and adaptable mindset. We need problem solvers, creative thinkers, and people who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty. If this sounds like you, keep reading - we want to hear from you! We are a fully remote company, and you can truly live anywhere while doing this job.
Once our engineers are vetted and approved for the Andela Talent Network, a Profile Creator will work with them on their profile, filling in all the technical details. You will be responsible for the bigger picture: ensuring that the profiles accurately reflect engineers’ skills and career trajectories while highlighting the projects they are proud of and what makes them unique. You will employ a variety of methods, including interviews, questionnaires, and independent research.
In this role, you will work remotely in a distributed company and help a small team keep their quality at the highest level. We also expect you to contribute actively with your ideas, improve our styling guidelines, and actively contribute to the development of the team’s glossary of technical terms. With more experience, we expect you to become a subject matter expert on profile components, assist with the onboarding of new team members, and help the profile editing team support other projects and teams across Andela.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in English, English writing, linguistics, or related field is a plus.
- A precise and aesthetic eye and attention to detail.
- Excellent foundational knowledge in English grammar and writing mechanics.
- Ability to edit written English material to a style guide, ideally in a professional or academic setting.
- Experience with resume writing is a plus.
- Technical and engineering terminology fluency; you don’t have to be an engineer, but speaking the language is a plus.
- Humble and willing to learn/grow. We need confident and capable people who want to help each other succeed as much as they want to help our talent succeed.
- This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
In the first week:
- Onboard and integrate into Andela.
- Learn about Andela’s existing product suite.
- Become acquainted with your area of focus, peers, and stakeholders.
In the first month:
- Focus on learning technical and engineering jargon.
- Start adding content to our existing profiles to get familiar with our environment.
- Evolve from shadowing assessment interviews to get better insights into our assessment process.
In the first three months:
- Finish training in profile creation and be able to do unsupervised profile creations.
- Fully embed yourself in your team and Contribute actively in team meetings.
- Understand Andela’s assessment processes and propose new ways to scale editing processes.
- Establish yourself as a well-known, key player within the team, and Andela.
In the first six months:
- Progress from absorbing information from subject matter experts to providing expertise yourself, actively answering questions on the Talent Network channels, and advising engineers on ways to improve and optimize their profiles.
In the first year:
- Become a subject matter expert on profile components and assist with the on-boarding of new team members.
- Help the profile editing team to support other projects and teams across Andela.
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.