Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code, and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader, and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry, and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2021.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems, and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from emerging markets and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200 tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative, and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the role:
Andela is looking for an experienced PM leader to join our growing Assessment team. You will help us define how Andela should assess candidates specializing in Product Management and determine if they are a strong fit. This is not a typical PM job, as you will not be building and shipping products. Instead, you will work on creating a new robust assessment process for determining which PMs ultimately join Andela’s talent network.
Our existing process for assessing software engineers consists of three stages:
- Automated English Proficiency and Online Test
- This step is a combination of AI-based tests validating English proficiency and online coding exams in relevant competencies.
- During the live meeting, the professional screener evaluates soft and communication skills, problem-solving and theoretical knowledge.
- The last stage is a consultative review of experience to better enable the Andela Matching algorithm and discover suitable client opportunities.
We have a well-defined process to assess software engineers, but we need your help to define the PM assessment process. We need someone who is a problem solver, a creative thinker, and who isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
If this sounds like you, keep reading - we want to hear from you! We are a fully remote company, and you can truly live anywhere while doing this job.
Once a PM candidate applies for the Andela Talent Network, they have to go through core interviewing steps. You will be responsible for defining the online test and the structure of the technical interview. Our goal is to assess prospective talent’s technical and soft skills, validate their experience and knowledge, and ensure we accept only the best PMs into the Andela Talent Network.
We expect you to contribute actively with your ideas, define at first, and later keep improving our assessment process. We need a leader that will drive and expand the PM Assessment team. You will also work with other PMs to implement that process into the product.
- 5+ years of product management experience at a software company, marketplace, or B2B preferred. 7+ years overall work experience.
- Degree in Computer Science or Engineering preferred, but not a dealbreaker.
- Team leadership experience is a huge plus.
- Technical fluency; you don’t have to be an engineer, but you need to speak the language.
- While on the topic of language - Fluency in English is a requirement.
- Clear communicator with the ability to articulate strategic direction, tradeoffs, and business recommendations to executive stakeholders.
- Detail-oriented and a high bar for quality when it comes to writing documentation and defining future assessment processes.
- Consensus-builder; develops relationships across the company with ease.
- Strong project management with the ability to identify and communicate blockers, next steps, and progress.
- Data-driven with analytical skills and fluency in dealing with data.
- Excellent written and verbal communication tends to over-document and over-communicate: we are fully remote, so this is very important!
- Humble and willing to learn/grow. We need confident and capable people who want to help each other succeed as much as they want to help our talent succeed.
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.