Senior People Operations Coordinator
Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from emerging markets and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200 tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the role
Andela is seeking a Senior People Operations Coordinator to work with the People team to build our organizational capacity and ensure we are creating an environment in which our staff can realize their full potential. To be successful in this role, the right candidate will bring knowledge and experience in providing People generalist support in Nigeria and Ghana across key functional areas, including Payroll, employee relations onboarding, People operations, and HRIS expertise.
Audit and Compliance
- Responsible for coordinating Local annual (SOC II) Audit.
- Policy review ensuring all People policies within Nigeria and Ghana are up-to-date and compliant with the law.
- Ensuring Local Legal compliance and liaising with Local regulatory bodies such as NSITF, ITF etc.
- End-to-end Management of Contractor payroll (which includes and is not limited to creating contractors our payment platform, managing compensation changes, terminating contracts, etc.)
- Oversight of FTE payroll for Nigeria and Ghana. Oversee and review the processing of payroll changes (e.g. new hires, terminations, salary adjustment documentation, bonus, etc,). Conduct monthly quality checks on all payroll data.
Manage the entire offboarding process for all employees and Contractors including but not limited to the following:
- Conducting employee exit interviews
- Facilitating clearance and handover – ensuring offboarding email procedures are sent out in a timely manner, offboarding documentation, etc
- Offboarding from the systems
- Ensuring that changes are communicated and captured on PayrollConfirmation
- Solely responsible for Employee Confirmations, i.e. Setting up employees on Small Improvements and ensuring timely confirmations or extensions and proper documentation
- Other tasks as assigned by the People Ops Manager or the Director of People.
- BS/BA degree in Human Resources, Social Sciences or its recognized equivalent with 4 years of relevant experience. Or MS/MA degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Social Sciences or its recognized equivalent, and 3 year relevant experience.
- Good working knowledge of BambooHR, Small improvements, and other HRIS systems utilized by Andela.
- Effective working proficiency of Microsoft Excel/ Google Sheets and PowerPoint/ Google Slides for adequate data reporting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among staff, subcontractors, and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to work independently with initiative to manage high volume workflow.
- Interact with diplomacy and tact and follow-up on requests in a timely and efficient manner.
- Must exhibit high levels of professionalism, integrity and ethical values at all times.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality for sensitive Human Resources issues or projects and use judgment to execute duties and responsibilities.
- Record keeping, report preparation, filing methods and records management techniques.
- Accurately enter and retrieve data and information using the available work tools.
- Working knowledge of in-country employment regulations, e.g. Labor/employee relations statutes and capacity to apply them to Andela.
- Ability to intervene with all levels of staff, partners and contractors, individuals from diverse cultures, and the public with diplomacy and firmness.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills with ability to work as a team member.
- Objectivity and the ability to apply People policies and regulations in a fair and consistent manner.
- Ability to plan and prioritize own work under tight deadlines, as well as to work on own initiative and as a member of a team.
- Attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy.
- Must be a nice person – we have a strict no jerks policy at Andela
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.