Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have cultivated 1,000+ software engineers from Emerging Markets and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200+ tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
What You’ll Do
In this role, you will primarily work as a Principal DevOps Engineer within the Technology organization, building world-class internal and customer facing products to support Andela’s business needs.
Our Andelan Principal Engineers are renowned for their technical prowess. They are admired and respected for the depth of their technical expertise and leadership.
- Use your expert knowledge to build a DevOps culture, practice, and be a champion for this within the organization
- Bring vision to the team in the form of new technology recommendations, ideas, and approaches.
- Believe that building great software is more than just delivering working code, that other aspects such as reusability, testability, maintainability, security, and performance are just as important.
- Share responsibility for strategically scaling Andela’s systems.
- Provide technical leadership to fast-paced teams, while delivering value, unparalleled enthusiasm, and a relentless commitment to excellence.
- Build great software while continuously learning and expanding your skill set.
Qualifications and Experience
A minimum of 6 years professional experience, during which you’ve built deep technical expertise and demonstrated technical leadership.
- Deep knowledge in Linux administration and troubleshooting
- Expertise with system scripting languages like Bash, Python or Golang
- Expertise with Docker and container orchestration tools like Kubernetes, ECS, Docker Swarm
- Deeply knowledgable with concepts like DevOps, Continuous Delivery and TDD
- Expertise with working with tools like Terraforms, Ansible, Chef, Puppet
- Expert level understanding of application containerization and orchestration techniques
- Expertise with at least one major cloud provider
- Strong ability to problem-solve, debug, and understand pertinent performance metrics
- Extensive experience with architecture and design principles, building to consider maintainability, performance, security requirements, and impact
- Excellent soft skills that enable you to lead and empower your team, and deliver the highest value
- Mentorship experience that helps others in approaching and solving for ambiguous efforts
- Working knowledge of Agile development practices and associated tools
- Strong understanding of business practices, engineering process, and industry trends
- Expertise with system automation and distributed systems
Expertise with the following specific tools:
- Google Cloud Platform
- GraphQL based web services
- NestJS application framework
- TypeORM and Postgres
- Modern Angular application development
- Containerization tools, Docker, Kubernetes
- Cloud-based CI/CD tools, CircleCI, CodeClimate
Technologies You’ll Work With
We are building advanced applications using modern tools and technologies. Our platform is Node based. On the backend we have a multi-tier architecture, utilizing PostgreSQL, NestJs, GraphQL, and Typescript. On the frontend we use Angular 10. The platform is deployed to Google Cloud Platform (GCP), using a modern CI/CD pipeline (Docker, Kubernetes, CircleCI, CodeClimate).
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.