Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from Africa and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200 tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the role
Our Andela Engineering Experience Leads are masters of technical talent development and client delivery. They reliably deliver technical and professional value to our trainees and our Apprenticeship partners.
- Mentor and onboard engineers in training (Apprentices), by consistently displaying sound judgment, setting expectations, and coaching.
- Use your knowledge in your core technology to ensure Apprentices deliver quality work to companies they’re assigned to.
- Collaborate excellently with peers and stakeholders in fast-paced distributed teams, through a love of constructive feedback, active & proactive communication, dedication, and universal respect.
What You’ll Bring
Your wealth of engineering and team management experience to enable you to ensure partner satisfaction with quality delivery from our Apprentices while maintaining a healthy learning velocity for the Apprentices.
A minimum of 4 years of professional experience, during which you’ve developed technical expertise and stellar professional skills.
- Working knowledge of at least one complementary front-end languages/frameworks (ex: React, Angular, Vue ) as well as experience with responsive design interface development
- Strong understanding of fundamental database concepts - relational (SQL) database, non-relational (NoSQL) database, ORMs/ODMs and Web storage API (front end)
- Experience with architecture and design principles, building to consider maintainability, performance, security requirements, and impact.
- Strong preference for test-driven-development (TDD) and understands its importance
- Familiarity with at least one web server technology -- (ex: Apache, Nginx)
- Familiarity with at least one cloud hosting platform --(ex: AWS, GCP, Heroku)
- Working knowledge of tools and editors-- (ex: Webpack, Parcel, Sublime, Atom, ESLint)
- Comfort working within agile methodologies and experienced in estimation and time management
- Experience managing teams working to build non-trivial software.
- Relational/Business/People/Soft/Team Skills.
- Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology.
- The ability to learn new things fast whilst delivering value simultaneously.
- Strong ability to problem-solve, debug, and understand pertinent performance metrics
- Knowledge of unit, integration, e2e and UI testing, with at least one relevant testing framework
- Familiarity with containerization infrastructure and orchestration
- Awareness of the capabilities of applicable languages/frameworks/libraries as well as the inherent differences between them in order to understand trade-offs and make recommendations.
- Familiarity with code challenge platforms like HackerRank & Leetcode.
- Facilitated learning in a structured learning environment
- Curriculum design
- Program development
- Setup Workshops, Bootcamps, Developer Groups or Forums
- Mentored or coached upcoming developers in a structured or unstructured setting
- Spoken at tech fora or workshops
- Software Development Instructional Design
- Mentorship or Coaching in Software Engineering
What You’ll Get
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Great perks and thoughtful approaches to remote work
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds inside and outside of your field
- A chance to change the world for the better
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.