Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from emerging markets and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200 tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
Andela’s Product Team is at the intersection of people, process, and technology. We’re working closely with engineers, operations teams, and users to build a next-generation platform that facilitates the connection between the global talent workforce (brilliance) and some of the best companies in the world (opportunity). We believe that the future of work hinges on successful remote work relationships and we are building products to solve for this. We are a small team, rapidly expanding and eager to make an impact.
In this role, you will lead a team of engineers and designers to define, build, and launch mission-critical initiatives that have a direct impact on the company’s bottom line. We’re looking for an experienced product manager who will use research and data to define strategy for a category of products, and who is at the same time a world-class executor. We need problem solvers, creative thinkers, and people who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
If this sounds like you, keep reading - we want to hear from you! We are a fully remote company and you can truly live anywhere while doing this job. English fluency is required.
- Define, scope, and prioritize Andela’s Talent Marketplace Product roadmap; you will own an entire product category.
- Own and lead all aspects of an established agile team: writing user stories and acceptance criteria, backlog grooming, triage and prioritization, demos, end to end product execution, cross-functional leadership.
- Communicate product direction, progress, delivery, launch, and mitigation plans to all relevant team members and business stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain credibility within engineering, the business, and our users.
- Conduct user research and data analysis to assess opportunities, risks, and business plans.
- Set adoption targets and continuously analyze data to assess the success of a product and inform product direction.
In the first week:
- Onboard and integrate into Andela.
- Learn about Andela’s existing product suite.
- Become acquainted with your area of focus, peers, stakeholders, and your product goals.
In the first month:
- Start collaborating closely with your engineering team to familiarize yourself with the backlog.
- Work with senior team members to develop and prioritize your high level roadmap.
- Form relationships with your business stakeholders and start understanding end user personas.
- Take over all current initiatives.
In the first three months:
- Fully own a product category, working with other team members to complete research and prioritization for the next major release.
- Ship features that deliver high business value.
- Fully embed yourself in your engineering team and take ownership of all product management activities.
- Monitor the success and adoption of any product features shipped against company goals.
- Understand Andela business processes that fall under your area of responsibility and propose new ways to scale those processes with product.
- Run stakeholder meetings/initiatives to evangelize and push adoption of the product roadmap.
- Establish yourself as a well known, key player within the product team and within Andela.
In the first six months:
- Develop a repeatable model for delivering against company and product goals.
- Mentor more junior product team members.
- Consistently re-evaluate the roadmap and backlog to seamlessly respond to changing market and business priorities.
- Work with engineering to continuously improve development processes and practices within your team.
- Contribute to the development of the product management team by introducing new ideas/initiatives and pushing for the maturation of existing processes.
In the first year:
- Define your category’s product strategy and plan for expansion.
- Deliver, deliver, deliver! You are a trusted and highly valued Andelan and our team relies on you to consistently ship high quality products that our users love.
- Continuously strive to scale and improve the team, meeting the growing needs of the business and our users.
- Discover new product opportunities and actively contribute to the overall Andela product direction.
- 5+ years of product management experience at a software company, marketplace or B2B preferred. 7+ years overall work experience.
- Degree in Computer Science or Engineering preferred, but not a dealbreaker.
- Consensus-builder; develops relationships across the company with ease.
- Technical fluency; you don’t have to be an engineer, but you do need to speak the language.
- While on the topic of language - Fluency in English is a requirement
- Ability to build wireframes and mockups, with a knack for keeping things simple.
- Strong understanding of how to truly propose and build a lean MVP and scope out further milestones for a product or feature.
- Detail oriented and a high bar for quality when it comes to writing stories, acceptance criteria, launch plans, and testing a feature before greenlighting its to launch to users.
- Strong project management with the ability to identify and communicate blockers, next steps, and progress.
- Strong analytical skills and fluency with data, with the ability to use a variety of tools to gather and synthesize information (experience with Google Analytics, BigQuery, Looker a major plus).
- Excellent written and verbal communication with a tendency to over-document and over-communicate: we are fully remote, so this is very important!
- Humble and willing to learn/grow. We need confident and capable PMs who want to help each other succeed as much as they want to help our talent succeed.
This is a fully remote role
All applications must be in English