Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from Africa and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200 tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the Role
The Operations Coordinator will work as part of the Operations team to review and continually improve the standard of service offered by the Operations team. The ideal candidate for this role is comfortable with multitasking, adaptable to a fast paced organisation. Like most startups, we operate at lightning speed, and if you embrace it, you'll be challenged every day. You are passionate about Andela Rwanda’s mission and technology and would be required to leverage on your existing network in providing service to the organisation.The position is full-time based in Kigali, Rwanda.
Key Attributes of the role
- Clear bias for problem solving, data analysis and creating insights from data. You will be expected to clearly define the problem, evaluate multiple paths to solution and select the best option.
- You are comfortable with leading multiple stakeholders (internal and external) and you take ownership of deliverables.
- Excellent data management, system development and maintenance, identification and promotion of data driven approach for resolution of operational bottleneck.
- Team player with keen and demonstrated interest in mentorship and coaching of junior team members, as needed.
- You have superior organizational skills, integrity and excellence-oriented mindset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication with ability to simplify information.
- Liaise with other departments to successfully complete tasks and projects.
- Superb information organisation and management in an easily located and reusable manner.
- Strong negotiation and persuasion skills
Roles & Responsibilities
- Work with the Andela Rwanda Managing Director to evaluate business processes, anticipate requirements and suggest improvements to current processes.
- Support the building and maintenance of scalable systems, using data analysis to remove bottlenecks.
- Drive automation of processes, support documentation of existing processes and creation of new processes where gaps are identified.
Data Sourcing and Analysis
- Analyse surveys, distill and present information from the surveys to aid decision making.
- Accurately track utilization of workspace and use the same to advise on workspace needs.
- Gathering critical information from meetings with different stakeholders and generating reports from single or multiple systems.
- Accurately track stock of work tools and office facilities.
- Develop project plans, oversee project execution and monitor performance and outcomes of projects.
- Provide oversight functions for tasks assigned to Administrative assistants and/or Operations interns.
- Contract management including scheduling, and coordination; checking that agreed work has been completed satisfactorily and following up on any deficiencies. This will include health and safety issues, sustainability as well as penalty payments for non-compliance and service delivery.
- Plan for the most efficient allocation and utilization of space and resources for organizing the work space and training premises.
- Respond appropriately to emergencies or urgent issues as they arise; Troubleshoot operational, work space maintenance, and health and security issues, address employee concerns as related to these areas, and escalate issues to the Managing Director, as appropriate.
- Lead supplier negotiations, recommend supplier selection and implement contracts designed to encourage continual improvement.
Budget Planning and Policy Formation
- Work alongside the Finance team, with the guidance of the Managing Director in planning the budget for the department.
- Evaluate existing policies for gaps and draft policies to meet identified gaps.
- Ensure policies and procedures formulation, implementation and compliance.
Health and Safety
- Create and implement Health Safety and Environment (HSE) processes and procedures.
- Ensure the best standard of health, safety and environment requirements are met.
Work Tools Allocation Management
- Keeping up to date stock on Macbook inventory and other supporting work tools.
- Work alongside the IT team to ensure proactive identification and mitigation of IT related risks.
- Provision of devices and gadgets required for work.
- Timely provision of replacement Macbooks in the event of damage, theft, etc of devices assigned to employees.
- Continual collaboration with various teams e.g. Operations, Finance, People, etc, to ensure that facilities and operations match up to needs both present and planned. Where deficiencies are noted, to lead the effort in ensuring we have solutions in place.
- Provide support as required by the Managing Director.
- Min. Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- 3+ years experience in operations, facilities management and/or logistics in a fast-paced company.
- Strong analytical and detail-oriented mindset.
- Critical thinker and problem solver, adept at planning, organizing and project management.
- Proficiency with business apps such as Google Apps.
- Excellent documentation skills.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Self-starter with a proven ability to multitask and prioritize.
Benefits & Compensation:
- Full-time compensation
- Medical coverage
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.