Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from Africa and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200 tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the Role
In this role, you will primarily work as a Senior Backend Engineer within the Technology department building world-class internal products to support Andela’s business needs.
As the Senior Backend Engineer, you will take on complex tasks and complete them despite roadblocks, grabbing others for help or insight as necessary. You will require very little oversight beyond high-level direction; you can take a complex user story, break it down into sub-tasks, and complete their sub-tasks with relative ease. You will show initiative beyond knocking tasks off a list; you are able to identify and suggest areas of future work for yourself or your team. You will drive product velocity and deliver products with confidence. You will take pride in building products that are key to helping Andela grow and scale as an organisation.
In this role, you will work as a Senior Backend Engineer within the Technology organisation, building world-class internal and customer facing products to support Andela’s business needs.
Our Andelan Senior Engineers are renowned for their technical prowess. They are admired and respected for the depth of their technical expertise and leadership.
Our Andelan Senior Software Engineers epitomise ownership. They take personal responsibility for Andela’s ability to continue to deliver value and building products that are key to helping Andela grow and scale as an organisation.
- Use your knowledge in your core technology to delight our partners around the world.
- Be responsible for the coding standards, conduct and deliverables of your fast-paced, distributed, teams, by proactively communicating and prioritizing effectively.
- Act as role-model even in the most difficult and challenging situations, using constructive feedback, mentorship and universal respect.
What You’ll Bring
All Andela engineers go above and beyond. To find out more about additional suggested competencies, check out our engineer framework.
A minimum of 5+ years of professional experience, during which you’ve built deep technical expertise and exercised ownership on various technical teams.
- Deep knowledge of database design, development and processing concepts, e.g query definition, db optimisation, schema design, ORM, etc.
- Expertise in design and management of large scale, secure, cloud based software deployment environments
- Expert level understanding of application containerisation and orchestration techniques
- Deep knowledge of client-server and multi-tier architectures
- Expertise in different automated test strategies (unit/integration/acceptance)
- Working knowledge of Test Coverage and Code Maintainability tools
- Strong ability to problem-solve, debug, and understand pertinent performance metrics
- Extensive experience with architecture and design principles, building to consider maintainability, performance, security requirements, and impact
- Excellent soft skills that enable you to lead and empower your team, and deliver the highest value
- Mentorship experience that helps others in approaching and solving for ambiguous efforts
- Working knowledge of Agile development practices and associated tools
- Strong understanding of business practices, engineering process, and industry trends
Expertise with the following specific tools:
- Google Cloud Platform
- GraphQL based webservices
- NestJS application framework
- TypeORM and Postgres
- Modern Angular application development
- Containerization tools, Docker, Kubernetes
- Cloud based CI/CD tools, CircleCI, CodeClimate
What You’ll Get
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds inside and outside of your field
- A chance to change the world for the better
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.