Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from Africa and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200 tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the role:
As a Solutions Architect, you will be responsible for supporting the creation of new business for prospective and current Andela partners by working closely with the Andela Sales and Partner Experience teams and ensuring a close match between Partner needs and Andela engineer capabilities.
Your day-to-day will include:
- Qualifying potential Andela Partners and assessing current Andela Partners based on their business, technical, cultural, and resource requirements.
- Gathering, mapping, documenting, and communicating Partner requirements to cross-functional stakeholders to help assign the best qualified Andela engineer(s) to solve our prospective and current Partners’ most important business needs.
- Assess prospects’ application and technology infrastructure to gain familiarity with their software development lifecycle and release management
- Verify org design and prior experience with distributed teams as well as gain comprehension of engineering culture from CTO, VP of Engineering, and/or software managers
- Understand prospects’ needs and be able to effectively craft and convey the best solution that fits their unique needs, including level-setting expectations
- Translate business and functional requirements from prospects into documented technical specifications to aid in matching new partners with the appropriate engineers
- Collect information for how prospects monitor and measure the success of the solutions
- Collaborate in the evaluation and assessment of engineers for Partner engagements
- Collaborate with the Sales and Partner Experience teams to present solutions in Proposal calls, leading where appropriate
- Collaborate with Partner Experience and Partner Engineering Managers in upsell opportunities by helping to design solutions that meet partner and Andela requirements
- Maintain deep awareness of trends in software development and best practices in distributed work
- B.S. or comparable training in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Engineering, MIS and/or equivalent work experience
- Previous experience as a client-facing solution/sales engineer, ideally interacting with mid- to senior-level technology executives
- Experience with an open-source web framework (e.g. Ruby/ Rails, Python/ Django) and solid understanding of the MVC design pattern
- Proficiency in Integration, Security and Architecture concepts and patterns
- Deep understanding of software development processes, testing methodologies, and deployment processes
- Demonstrated ownership of technical and/or design requirements gathering
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and act tactically about business, product, and technical challenges
- Demonstrated ability to quickly assimilate and assess information about technology architectures and business models, and provide optimal solutions to address stakeholder needs
- Broad technology experience and familiarity including, but not limited to: cloud computing, mobile, applications design/development/hosting, DevOps, IoT, databases, analytics, machine learning, algorithms, networking, security, storage, continuous integration and deployment, APIs, micro-services, containerization, and site reliability engineering
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.