Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from Africa and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200+ tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the Role
As Andela Egypt’s Communications Lead, you will work with a global team responsible for communicating Andela’s mission and value prop to a variety of external audiences. Reporting to the Senior Communication Manager for Africa, you will oversee Andela’s communications strategy and ensure that we’re building a cohesive global brand.
The key attributes for this role are:
- Leadership, team building and cross-cultural skills. You have experience leading strong teams made up of young and dynamic high achievers. It is also important that you have demonstrated an understanding of what it takes to work with high performance teams and a best-in-class Communications department.
- Creative problem solving. You solve problems by creatively engaging with stakeholders externally with independence and fluency. You develop conceptual frameworks that guide problem solving analysis. You draw sound conclusions based upon a mixture of analysis and experience. You demonstrate content expertise through problem solving from multiple contexts.
- Strategic thinking and storytelling: Identify press-worthy stories within Andela and have a strong ability to think strategically and plan for the future. You are able to conceptualise, plan and execute communication strategies that engage Andela’s target audience, while also facilitating increases in engagements and impressions generated.
- Public speaking and ability to groom others. You have the capacity to multitask across teams and have the confidence to speak and also groom others to speak confidently in alignment to the core message of Andela.
- Demonstrated ability to manage strategic and crisis communication. You develop and maintain strong relationships with Andela’s senior management, staff, external agencies, press outlets, and others to engage them and support effective communication within and outside of the organization. You are responsible for managing strategic and crisis communication should the need arise.
- Media relations and stakeholder management in Egypt. You will have demonstrated an ability to engage with 360 media across different channels in Egypt. Also understand the tech ecosystem and must have built strong relationship with Tech leaders who can easily be approached to understand the goals and objectives of Andela.
- Writing skills: Prepare speaking brief + talking points creation + setting up in-person prep with Engineers and executives who have speaking engagements.
Typical day-to-day would involve:
- Leading Andela Egypt’s Communications team in planning and executing a number of strategic initiatives across PR and digital marketing to bolster Andela’s presence in Egypt.
- Overseeing communications strategy in Egypt and effectively managing the team to ensure success of key initiatives
- Serving as the Africa liaison to the global Andela Communications team and ensuring all initiatives are aligned with the company’s core messaging and brand identity.
- Owning the Egypt press strategy, working closely with the Country Director and Andela’s global Communications team to secure high-quality media coverage after any announcement or company’s event
- Supporting the Egypt leadership team in driving engagement among the Tech Eco system through communications initiatives
- Working across departments to identify what stories to pitch or tell that will in turn influence the brand’s reputation and image positively.
- Grooming leaders and engineers to be confident enough to share their story with external stakeholders that will in turn drive more applications.
- Ensure 100% brand consistency in key messaging internally and externally
- Media monitoring - online (news website and blogs)
- Coordinate Andela participation at external events in Egypt/pan-Africa
- Identify and pitch speaking engagements for executives and engineers.
Key skills required:
- Atleast 4 years experience in Communications and Public Relations.
- A Proactive and self starter individual.
- Should great at story telling and content creation.
- Should be articulate
- Leadership skills
- Good understanding of media dynamics in Egypt.
- Great relationships with media in Egypt.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status