Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from Africa and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200+ tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the Role
The fundamental operating principle of the Marketing & Communications Coordinator is to drive a number of marketing and communications strategies that will enable Andela to attract the right talent at the right time. From engaging with Andela’s external stakeholders using comms and developer relations tactics to finding developers, identifying potentials, connecting, and converting them into Andela’s “right talent” pipeline.
Andela earns the trust of its external stakeholders through compelling story-telling, speaking opportunities, written content, videos, and participation in community activities. This trust breeds interest in opportunities at Andela, which leads to hires, placed engagements and ultimately revenue.
The Marketing & Communications Coordinator would work in close collaboration with fellow colleagues within communications team, and other cross-functional teams like Digital Marketing, Engineering recruiting, Staffing, Sourcing, Developer Relations, Engineering, Partnerships, Partner Engineering, etc. to achieve the goals of the Communications department and in alignment to key organization’s overarching goals.
In this role and as per the current organization structure She/He will report directly to the Senior Communications Manager, Africa. The position will be based out of Lagos, Nigeria. Traveling for business will be required as and when needed across locations and our focus markets within West Africa where mid-level to principal engineers are based.
Working hours: Full time (Remote Option Available)
- Lead Andela Nigeria’s Communications team in planning and executing a number of strategic initiatives across PR, Developer relations and Digital marketing to bolster Andela’s presence in Nigeria.
- Work with the Regional Developer Relations Manager to build and align on strategies that connect to the marketing department’s overarching goal.
- Work closely with the Lagos leadership team and Andela’s global Communications team to align localized goals to global goals and strategy.
- Working across departments to identify what stories to pitch or tell that will in turn influence the brand’s reputation and image and further inspire senior engineering talent to join Andela.
- Groom leaders and engineers with the right tools and content to enable them to share their stories with external stakeholders that will, in turn, strengthen the brand and drive more applications.
- Ensure 100% brand consistency and cohesiveness in key messaging, internally and externally.
- Actively participate in ecosystem and tech community events to identify and build strong relationships with engineers across all experience levels that could potentially join Andela.
- Coordinate participation of Andelans at technical and non-technical external events in Lagos/Pan-Africa.
- Responsible for marketing qualified leads (MQLs) that feed into the recruiting pipeline for placed engineers from an offline marketing perspective.
- Strategic partnership and community building by attending and engaging in relevant tech conferences and hosting technical meetups.
- Media monitoring - online (news website and blogs)
- Reporting on predefined success metrics of marketing and communications initiatives.
The key attributes for this role are:
- Leadership, team building and cross-cultural skills. You have experience leading strong teams made up of young and dynamic high achievers. It is also important that you have demonstrated an understanding of what it takes to work with high performance teams and a best-in-class Communications department.
- Creative problem solving. You solve problems by creatively engaging with stakeholders externally with independence and fluency. You develop conceptual frameworks that guide problem solving analysis. You draw sound conclusions based upon a mixture of analysis and experience. You demonstrate content expertise through problem solving from multiple contexts.
- Strategic thinking and storytelling: Identify press-worthy stories within Andela and have a strong ability to think strategically and plan for the future. You are able to conceptualise, plan and execute communication strategies that engage Andela’s target audience, while also facilitating increases in engagements and impressions generated.
- Public speaking and ability to groom others. You have the capacity to multitask across teams and have the confidence to speak and also groom others to speak confidently in alignment to the core message of Andela.
- Demonstrated ability to manage strategic and crisis communication. You develop and maintain strong relationships with Andela’s senior management, staff, external agencies, press outlets, and others to engage them and support effective communication within and outside of the organization. You are responsible for managing strategic and crisis communication should the need arise.
- Media relations and stakeholder management in Nigeria. You will have demonstrated an ability to engage with 360 media across different channels in Nigeria. Also understand the tech ecosystem and must have built strong relationship with Tech leaders who can easily be approached to understand the goals and objectives of Andela.
- Writing skills: Prepare speaking brief + talking points creation + setting up in-person prep with Engineers and executives who have speaking engagements. Also coordinate the team to ensure a great EPIC Tower experience for guests.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status