Marc Andresson, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peak behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from Africa and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200+ tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
As a new function, Workforce Planning is responsible for ensuring that Andela’s engineering talent supply is demand-driven and market responsive. The group’s mandate is to ensure Andela has the right talent at the right time to deliver value to our current and future customers.
About the Role
Andela is looking for a structured, motivated Senior Manager who is eager to help power the newly-built Workforce Planning function at Andela and bring it to the next level. You will join a team responsible for driving meaningful impact for our customers, our engineers and our organization. You are action-oriented and proactively spot what needs to be done by identifying challenges, inefficiencies and areas of improvement.
The mandate of Workforce Planning is to manage the bench of engineers to achieve optimal levels of available supply based on market demand, and will require a strong understanding of commercial requirements and People-related practices.
The current team is a small and versatile group of folks who spike in analytical thinking, project and stakeholder management, and getting stuff done. As a member of this team, you will need to be an adaptable team player who is capable of wearing multiple hats and driving commercial outcomes through operational efficiency and innovation. As a role that impacts and touches large groups of engineers, this position is a great fit for someone with experience in professional services or a managed marketplace.
- Support strategy of Workforce Planning team
- Clearly define and articulate the role of the bench within Andela’s business strategy
- Work towards attainment of revenue, cost management, and utilization goals through investments in Andela’s engineering talent workforce efficacy
- Continuously improve Andela’s talent forecasting/capacity planning through segmentation and analysis
- Maintain excellent relationships via strong stakeholder management, and communication practices at all levels of the organization
- Provide ongoing analysis and make data-driven recommendations on initiatives that will improve the productivity, effectiveness, and/or satisfaction of our workforce
- Interact with engineering talent in thoughtful, operationally excellent, clear, honest, and empathetic ways
- Lead execution of projects/initiatives that directly impact departmental and broader business results
- Work cross-functionally to develop and execute implementation plans, with appropriate change management and thoughtful communications strategies
- Clearly and concisely communicate new processes to team and senior leaders
- Leverage your context of both demand and supply to consult around processes, models, calculations, assumptions and business impacts
- A completed Bachelor’s Degree at a minimum; MBA is a plus
- 5+ years professional experience in a workforce planning / supply chain / operations management environment / professional services marketplace
- Strong problem-solving skills; experience identifying and resolving issues independently based on own initiative
- Proactive in nature and accountable in practice; clear ownership over results and quality of work
- Familiarity working in a customer-centric commercial environment, ideally one involving talent services
- Exceptional analytical thinking ability and comfortable analyzing data to extract and communicate findings or next steps
- Structured, logical, and creative thinking: the ability to dissect a problem using a critical approach and iteratively test solutions
- Ability to develop and implement talent optimization processes and procedures across geographically distributed teams, in collaboration with other department leaders
- Established track record in driving cross-functional initiatives and/or building out workflows and process improvements within teams that produce measurable impact
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working remotely and/or with larger groups of talent is an asset
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status