Where You’ll Work
Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software engineers.
Based in NYC, SF, Kigali, Cairo, Lagos, Nairobi, Accra and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
What You’ll Do
Our Andelan Principal Engineers are renowned for their technical prowess. They are admired and respected for the depth of their technical expertise and leadership.
- Use your expert knowledge, in your core technology or set of technologies, to delight our partners around the world.
- Make meaningful and impactful technical decisions with a keen understanding of the operational ramifications.
- Lead fast-paced teams through change, while delivering value, unparalleled enthusiasm, and a relentless commitment to excellence.
What You’ll Bring
All Andela engineers go above and beyond. To find out more about additional suggested competencies, check out our engineer framework.
A minimum of 6-12 years of professional experience, during which you’ve built deep technical expertise and demonstrated technical leadership.
- Leadership skills with a high amount of emotional intelligence. You’ve led teams, initiatives, and a range of technical working sessions
- Demonstrated experience of having taken large-scale initiatives from conception through to production, while continuing to support, optimize, and iterate
- Deep knowledge of at least one front-end framework -- React, Angular, Vue as well as experience with responsive design interface development
- Extensive experience with architecture and design principles, building to consider maintainability, performance, security requirements, and impact.
- Working knowledge of at least one complementary front-end languages/frameworks (ex: React, Angular, Vue )
- Deep understanding of fundamental database concepts - relational (SQL) database, non-relational (NoSQL) database, ORMs/ODMs and Web storage API (front end)
- Strong ability to problem-solve, debug, and understand pertinent performance metrics
- Strong preference for test-driven-development (TDD) and understands its importance
- Strength with at least one web server technology -- (ex: Apache, Nginx)
- Strength working within at least one cloud hosting platform --(ex: AWS, GCP)
- Confident working with tools and editors-- (ex: Grunt, Sublime, Atom, JSLint)
- Measured experience with unit, integration, e2e and UI testing, with at least one relevant testing framework
- Expert leveraging software-development lifecycle (SDLC) methodologies, (such as agile) to drive positive personal/team outcomes to increase velocity and on-time delivery
- Working knowledge of software engineering collaboration tools (Ex: Git, Jira)
- Practiced at learning by sharing knowledge via means such as mentorship, engagement within a technical community, contributions to open source, etc.
- Familiarity with containerization infrastructure and orchestration
- Awareness of the capabilities of applicable languages/frameworks/libraries as well as the inherent differences between them in order to understand trade-offs and make recommendations
What You’ll Get
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds inside and outside of your field
- A chance to change the world for the better
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*May vary slightly based on location