Where You’ll Work
Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software engineers.
Based in NYC, SF, Kigali, Cairo, Lagos, Nairobi, Accra and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
What You’ll Do
Our Andelan Principal Engineers are renowned for their technical prowess. They are admired and respected for the depth of their technical expertise and leadership.
- Use your knowledge in your core technology to delight our partners around the world.
- Be responsible for the coding standards, conduct and deliverables of your fast-paced, distributed, teams, by proactively communicating and prioritizing effectively.
- Act as role-model even in the most difficult and challenging situations, using constructive feedback, mentorship and universal respect.
What You’ll Bring
All Andela engineers go above and beyond. To find out more about additional suggested competencies, check out our engineer framework.
A minimum of 6-12 years of professional experience, during which you’ve built deep technical expertise and demonstrated technical leadership.
- Leadership skills with a high amount of emotional intelligence. You’ve led teams, initiatives, and a range of technical working sessions
- Demonstrated experience of having taken large-scale initiatives from conception through to production, while continuing to support, optimize, and iterate
- Extensive experience with architecture and design principles, building to consider maintainability, performance, security requirements, and impact.
- Deep understanding of fundamental database concepts - relational (SQL) database, non-relational (NoSQL) database and ORMs/ODMs
- Strong knowledge of at least one cloud hosting platform (Ex: AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Deep knowledge of at least one CI/CD tool -- Jenkins, Travis CI, Circle CI
- Expert level understanding of containerization and orchestration techniques -- Docker, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes
- Demonstrated expertise with highly available infrastructure patterns and their tradeoffs
- Deep understanding of applicable unit and integration testing, and testing frameworks/libraries
- Deep knowledge of networking concepts-- DNS, OSI model, TCP/IP, UDP, FTP
- Strong ability to problem-solve, debug, and understand pertinent performance metrics
- Comfort working within agile methodologies and experienced in estimation and time management
- Awareness of the capabilities of applicable languages/frameworks/libraries as well as the inherent differences between them in order to understand trade-offs and make recommendations.
- Working knowledge of software engineering collaboration tools
- Strong preference for test-driven-development (TDD) and understands its importance
- Working knowledge of code editor and formatting tools
- Practiced at learning by sharing knowledge via means such as mentorship, engagement within a technical community, contributions to open source, etc.
- Comfort with at least one web server technology -- (ex: Apache, Nginx)
What You’ll Get*
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds inside and outside of your field
- A chance to change the world for the better
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*May vary slightly based on location