Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peak behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from Africa and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200+ tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the Challenge
Andela is looking to add exceptional talent in the area of Product (Strategy/Management). The role is focused on driving the use of technology to make Andela more efficient from a business process perspective and highly differentiated in terms of how it delivers it services. The technology build out at Andela is focused on the following:
Building Efficient Systems for Andela
Andela is using technology to improve business processes and outcomes in the areas of sourcing engineers, matching engineers to opportunities, and assessing the quality of engineers. Andela is ultimately a marketplace that provides Engineering-as-a-Service to its customers. Some attributes of technology in this area of focus include:
- Data gathering, classification and analytics
- Workflow automation
- Automated matching (i.e. ML)
Building Technology to Automate and Improve Service Delivery
Andela is also building for its customers to ensure we deliver a great, high quality experience and getting high value from our engineers. We want to make working with Andela seamless and easy. In addition, we know our customers want help on managing distributed software engineering teams. In this area we are working on technologies to coordinate teams, onboard engineers, performance monitor with data, collect feedback and action it to improve our service, etc. At Andela, we have not only have an opportunity to automate manual processes, but we can also differentiate with great service enabled by technology and providing solutions to manage distributed teams. Some attributes in this area include the following:
- Web apps for engaging customers
- Notifications and alerting
- Workflow automation
- Team collaboration support
- Data processing and business insights
Overall, there is ample room to use commercial tools and to develop great IP to differentiate Andela. The successful candidate in this role will be at the forefront of leading great business outcomes by way of employing technology.
Can also be located in Boston, MA
About the Role
This Product leadership role is responsible for driving the use of technology and requires the following:
- Develop and champion a product strategy and roadmap in support of Andela’s goals
- Rapidly iterate and evolve internally developed products, as well as, source commercial tools, to meet high growth
- Engage with Senior Leadership and provide guidance on how to best leverage tech
- Build, mentor, and lead a world-class team of 5-10 Product Managers
- Understand and formulate responses to challenges faced by Andela business operators
- Uncover, validate and manage product requirements and backlog implementation
- Drive adoption and do post-launch support of products
- Create and prioritize business value to drive key company KPI’s
- Set goals, drive departmental KPI’s, and develop team as a leader/operator
- 10+ years of experience in B2B Product Management
- A track record of driving product strategy creating business value with technology
- Extremely comfortable with data analysis and using data to drive decision making
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to a broad range of audiences
- Proven ability to manage to inspire teams to meet business commitments
- Willingness to travel to Andela’s development centers around the world
- Practitioner and implementer of Distributed/Remote best practices
- Engineer turned Product person (i.e. deep knowledge of the engineer), preferred
- Knowledge of marketplace dynamics dealing with talent/labor, preferred
- Strong sense of urgency for results and outcomes driven
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.