Where You’ll Work
Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented Software Engineers.
Based in NYC, SF, Kigali, Cairo, Lagos, Nairobi, Accra and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
What You’ll Do
Our Andelan Software Engineers are masters of consistent execution. They reliably deliver technical and professional value to our teams and our partners.
- Use your knowledge in your core technology to delight our partners around the world.
- Mentor and onboard junior engineers, by consistently displaying sound judgement, setting expectations, and working effectively, both independently and as part of a global team.
- Collaborate excellently with peers and stakeholders in fast-paced distributed teams, through a love of constructive feedback, dedication and universal respect.
What You’ll Bring
All Andela engineers go above and beyond. To find out more about additional suggested competencies, check out our engineer framework.
A minimum of 3-7 years of professional experience, during which you’ve built technical expertise and professionalism.
- Proficient at an intermediate level in either Java/Kotlin for Android and Objective-C/Swift for iOS.
- Good understanding of Object-Oriented Programming concepts i.e Classes and objects, Inheritance, Encapsulation and Polymorphism.
- Working knowledge of core data structures provided by a language, i.e arrays/lists, tuples, dictionaries, hash tables.
- Proficient at an intermediate level in mobile platform frameworks -- UIKit(iOS), MapKit, ARKit, RxJava, RxSwift
- Working knowledge of UI Design libraries/frameworks -- Material Design (Android)
- Intermediate level understanding of fundamental database concepts -- i.e database tables, querying databases, normalization, joins, database management systems
- Good understanding of at least one database for Mobile dev -- i.e SQLite, RealmDB
- Good understanding of cloud mobile database backends -- i.e Firebase
- Working knowledge of ORMs/ODMs -- i.e Room ORM, SqlDelight, CoreData
- Knowledge of network security and deep knowledge of unit, integration, e2e and UI testing, as well as testing frameworks/libraries -- JUnit(For Java), Espresso, Appium, XCTest(iOS)
- Working knowledge of software engineering collaboration tools-- Jira, Pivotal Tracker, Git, Mercurial
- Familiarity with language/platforms, build IDEs/tools -- Simulators/Emulators and Gradle(Android), Android Studio, XCode
- Aware of at least one cloud mobile backend platform -- i.e Firebase, Fabric
- Working knowledge of at least one CI/CD tool -- i.e Jenkins, Travis CI, Circle CI
- Working knowledge of the app stores for the respective mobile platforms -- i.e Google Play Store, Apple's App Store.
- Working Knowledge of analytics tools -- i.e HockeyApp/App Center,
- Working knowledge of networking concepts -- DNS, OSI model, TCP/IP, UDP, FTP, IP Addressing
What You’ll Get*
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds inside and outside of your field
- A chance to change the world for the better
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*May vary slightly based on location