Marc Andresson, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peak behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from Africa and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200 tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
About the Role
Join our growing people strategy team supporting our US community. This is an amazing opportunity for a passionate and talented generalist with a strong operational background and an interest in HR business partnership to innovate alongside a stellar team and equally passionate and driven managers.
Your will support the implementation of a variety of programs and initiatives that create a compelling employee experience for Andelans. This role is an awesome opportunity to blend employee advocacy and engagement with driving key business outcomes.
You will act as a liaison for employees and managers, focusing on supporting and implementing people team programs. You will provide guidance and support on people processes, procedures and initiatives. You will collect qualitative feedback that assists the broader HRBP team in delivering both exceptional employee experiences.
This role reports to the US People Director.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support the implementation of people programs and initiatives through execution including retention strategies, performance management, recognition and reward, culture and connection, career development and advancement, onboarding
- 1st point of contact for US Andelans on all matters including lifecycle events (onboarding, offboarding, benefits administration, payroll oversight)
- Able to resolve issues independently and minimize escalations
- Support managers to nurture a culture that rewards growth in critical skills, competencies and delivery
- Connect Andelans to learning and growth opportunities provided by the growth and development team, amplify learning and development strategies and communications
- Work with the US People Director to manage communication and engagement especially with regard to change, providing clarity and transparency
- Manage employee relations, disciplinary/grievances
- Meaningful directly relevant experience as a generalist in a fast paced/dynamic start up or technology environment. Experience working globally preferred
- Stellar track record that includes demonstrated proactivity/initiative, creative problem solving, critical thinking, execution focus
- A “people over process outlook”, you aim to be firm, fair and thoughtful in your approach valuing what’s right for our people, our partners and Andela
- Strong sense of business ethics and ability to appropriately handle confidential information
- Solid understanding of Human Resources Management Processes, exposure to best practices in performance management a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to influence and interface with Management teams
- Ability to create effective working partnerships with key stakeholders
- Strong interest in leveraging data to inform decisions
- Previous experience in coaching employees and management through moderately complex issues
- Knowledge of in-country employment regulations, e.g. Country labor/employee relations statutes and capacity to apply them to Andela.
Andela Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.