Andela extends engineering teams with world-class software developers. We recruit the most talented developers on the African continent, shape them into technical leaders, and place them as full-time distributed team members with companies that range from Microsoft and IBM to dozens of high-growth startups. Backed by Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV (Google Ventures) and Spark Capital, Andela is building the next generation of global technology leaders. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common. We have a vision to empower 100,000 world-class developers in the next 10 years – and we want you to help make it happen.
About the Role
Andela is seeking an experienced HR Operations Leader for our Kenya community. This is an amazing opportunity for a passionate and talented HR leader to innovate alongside a stellar growing people team and equally passionate and driven leadership. You’ll be tasked with ensuring our core people processes and policies keep pace with our rapid scale and cultivate an environment where each Andelan thrives. Prepare yourself for a growth experience that accelerates your journey as an HR professional - playing a key role on our operations team, and moving us to a progressive shared service model!
To be successful in this role, you will take a true partnership approach to your work, thoughtfully balancing the needs of the people team, your country and the broader organization. You will also work collaboratively with HR Centers of Excellence and a newly implemented HR Business Partner function to develop and deliver integrated People solutions seamlessly in Nairobi
About the role
- Ensure HR operational excellence with accurate, timely, and robust information, process, and project management practices
- Partner effectively with our Centers of Excellence (Comp and Ben, L&D, Talent, Analytics and Systems) to ensure processes meet business needs
- Own local HR Compliance Program and be responsible for managing, inventorying, assessing, controlling, and developing compliant policies/procedures to reduce risk
- Manage local vendor relationships and SLAs to optimize operational effectiveness and employee experience
- Monitor new laws or regulations related to HR compliance and drive continuous process and program improvement
- Measure and monitor existing programs and experiences
- Partner with the rest of the People Team in addition to external specialists to execute global operational initiatives and priorities within the organization.
- Adopt the 80/20 role, adapting global policies and processes for your local community
- Place our greatest asset - OUR PEOPLE at the center of everything we do
Coach, Inspire, Influence
- Build and lead a team of operational generalists and specialists that are knowledgeable, driven, and deliver impeccable customer service
- Provide timely and actionable feedback to your team, bring a growth mindset to developing and coaching them
- Surface your point of view with the broader global operations team and influence strategy and decisions outside of Kenya
Connecting with Andelans
- Cultivate and nurture strong relationships with key stakeholders, other internal teams, and most importantly within People Team to become a trusted advisor.
- Enhance information sharing, modelling transparency and openness in how you engage
A bit about you...
- Lead heart first, care deeply about both people and outcomes
- Focused on ethical leadership and doing the right thing even when it’s hard.
- Master of your craft and passionate about modern, transformational “HR”, interest in innovation and creative HR solutions
- Ability to create effective working partnerships with key stakeholders that enable you to execute effectively
- Strong interest in leveraging data to inform decisions (don’t worry if you aren’t an expert we have some of those!)
- Demonstrated ability in developing and executing across the employee lifecycle for a rapidly scaling population of 800+
- Experience in a challenging, changing, complex business environment with a special focus on multiculturalism (and internationalism).
- Knowledge of in-country employment regulations, e.g. Country labor/employee relations statutes and capacity to apply them to Andela.. Experience with other East African countries is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.