Job Title: Marketing & Communications Coordinator Uganda
Type: Full Time
Experience: Coordinator II
Location: Kampala, Uganda
About the Role:
Andela is on a mission to empower a generation of technology leaders across Africa. In the past two years, we have recruited over 800 developers, based in Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, who work as full-time engineers for leading technology companies across the globe. We recently launched our first pan-African hub in Kigali, Rwanda in partnership with the Rwanda Development Board.
Andela is seeking an experienced Marketing & Communications professional based in Kampala, Uganda, to build the Andela brand in Uganda and broadcast our vision and achievements to the world. The Marketing & Communications Coordinator will be responsible for shaping and executing on a multi-faceted internal and external communications strategy that establishes Andelans as thought leaders in the Ugandan technology ecosystem and reinforces Andela’s brand as a leading engineering organization.
- Lead the Andela Uganda’s Marketing & Communications team in planning and executing a number of strategic initiatives across PR, field marketing and digital marketing to bolster Andela’s presence in Uganda.
- Develop a quarterly comprehensive marketing and comms strategy that drives talent acquisition and brand recognition for Andela Uganda.
- Build and own relationships with the media: Identify press-worthy stories within Andela, coordinate media interviews with Andela employees and executives, and ensure that press coverage is on-message.
- Design online and offline marketing campaigns (social media, paid advertising, events) to increase applications for the Senior Engineers in Uganda.
- Create content (press releases, blog posts, features, scripts etc) to educate and build the brand’s awareness in the market.
- Ensure 100% brand consistency in key messaging externally.
The key attributes for this role are:
- Leadership, team building, and cross-cultural skills. You have significant experience leading strong teams made up of young and dynamic high achievers. It is also important that you have demonstrated an understanding of what it takes to build high-performance teams and a best-in-class Communications and Marketing department.
- Creative problem-solving. You solve problems by creatively engaging with stakeholders both internally and externally with independence and fluency. You develop conceptual frameworks that guide problem-solving analysis. You draw sound conclusions based upon a mixture of analysis and experience. You demonstrate content expertise through problem-solving from multiple contexts.
- Strategic thinking. You have a strong ability to think strategically and plan for the future. You are able to conceptualize, plan and execute communication strategies that engage Andela’s target audience, while also facilitating increases in engagements and impressions generated.
- Operational excellence. Each department in Andela operates with initiatives that drive and contribute to the collective Andela vision. You have the capacity to multitask across teams to amplify internal and external communications on marketing, advertising, branding and creative development ensuring consistency and on-strategy execution.
- Demonstrated ability to manage strategic and crisis communication. You develop and maintain strong relationships with Andela’s senior management, staff, external agencies, press outlets, and others to engage them and support effective communication within and outside of the organization. You are responsible for managing strategic and crisis communication should the need arise.
- A deep commitment to our mission. You will have demonstrated an ability and interest in creating large-scale change and impact. This could be seen through your management of campaigns, and the media plans you have developed and executed.
- Tech EcoSystem relations. You have the right connections from your experience handling marketing and comms with a clear understanding of the tech ecosystem and where to find software engineers.
Ideal candidates for this role will have:
- At least 4 years minimum experience in marketing/public relations, preferably with experience in a PR agency or the technology sector
- Strong existing relationships with, and an extensive network of key technology-focused press contacts and business reporters.
- Excellent written & verbal communication (public speaking is key).
- Creative and critical thinking skills with an ability to fluidly craft narratives
- Strong command of written and spoken English
- Deep understanding of social media platforms and effective marketing strategies/techniques
- Experience developing and managing a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Experience managing and coordinating, and working as part of teams to deliver on a tight schedule
- Experience working on the marketing and comms strategy for a Tech brand in Uganda
- Professional experience with, or an understanding of the wider East African region an advantage.
- Record of an undergraduate degree from a recognized institution
- Very flexible and able to adapt to changes and working with stakeholders seamlessly.
- Start-up experience, though this is not required
- A great personality and good heart; we have a “no jerk” policy