Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalysing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Team
The People team at Andela partners with leaders and our people to help them fulfil their potential, and realize transformational outcomes for our business and our customers (we call them ‘partners’). We share accountability for not only people initiatives, but also the success of the organisation we support.
Our team has a broad background in many areas of HR, and we are experts in addressing employee, management, and organisational challenges. And.. we also think we’re fun!. We are by turns grand visionaries, service with a smile, cat herders and camp counselors.
The Task at Hand
Get excited for one of the most meaningful, challenging and purposeful experiences of your career. This is a new function and you will be responsible for setting the vision, defining the operating model and building and leading a team of inspiring “HR Business Partners” to cultivate an exceptional experience for Andela’s growing engineering population. You will partner with the people team’s centers of excellence to design programs and experiences that retain and engage our engineering population. You will provide objective advice regarding complex issues and coach leadership on best practices including talent acquisition and retention, professional development, performance management, culture, and career development.
Relationships: Cultivate and nurture strong relationships with key stakeholders, other internal teams, and most importantly within the people team to become a trusted advisor.
Strategy: Partner with leaders to identify broad, chronic organisational challenges and opportunities. Craft and implement strategies to address everything from workforce planning and compensation budgets, to talent management and succession planning, reward and engagement strategies to performance management, staffing strategies and organisational design. While you will have operational support you are someone who will roll their sleeves up and dive into the details when required.
Coach, Inspire, Mediate: Create sustained and scalable solutions to manager, team, and individual challenges through a variety of best practice techniques. Ability to design and implement innovative and engaging programs to drive the evolution of the functions you support. This may include individual coaching for leaders on best practices to improve their people management skills, career and job coaching, and navigating conflict within teams.
Emergency Response: Generally speaking, our role is to be proactive. We strive to anticipate issues before they arise, and to create short and long-term plans for our organisation. But stuff happens ... We really don’t like emergencies, but when they happen you should know how to handle them quickly, discreetly, and with grace. You leverage your deep knowledge of employment law, compliance and best practices to mitigate risks to individual employees and Andela.
Lead & Develop the HR Business Partner Team: Set the vision, operating model and regular goals for the HRBP team. Help the team navigate through difficult situations, coach the team to success, deliver tough feedback when required. Lastly help the team to develop in their role, identifying learning opportunities and supporting their career growth.
This is anything but your standard “HR Business Partner” role. You’ll be the leader and guardian of our engineering population. From performance and productivity, community to culture, this is a challenging role with high expectations.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of meaningful experience in a strategic HR Business Partner role in a challenging and changing environment. Your knowledge and experience are both broad and deep from employment law and best practices to talent management. Experience with design of engagement strategies preferred.
- Core accountability for engineering retention metrics and key engagement scores
- Design and enforce best practices for how your team builds trusted relationships and influences decision makers on matters related to engineering experience.
- Manage and lead a team of 6+ HR business partners, their objectives, priorities, trade offs, risks and escalations
- Design and implement strategies to effectively navigate organisational change for our engineers
- Collaborate with partner engineering (Delivery), Staffing and Engineering Growth to optimize the holistic career journey for engineers as they progress with Andela.
- Provide actionable feedback to Andela’s leadership team on all aspects of engineering experience for continuous scale and improvement.
- Have a strong track record of problem solving and leveraging data to inform decisions
- Genuine belief in bringing your full self to what you do every day, see “work” as a calling and a passion
- Comfortable facilitating executives, coming to the table with a point of view able to balance the needs of Andela, our engineers and our partners
- Comfortable negotiating and managing expectations, influencing up, challenging thoughtfully
- Creative self-starter who prides themselves on their grit and resourcefulness
- Exercise sound judgment and discretion, exceptional ethical leadership
- Strong balance of optimism and pragmatism
- Detail orientation with excellent organisational, prioritisation and multitasking skills
- Demonstrated ownership and accountability for long term projects through execution and measurement of success
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.