Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
In this role, you will primarily work as a Senior Software Engineer within the Technology department building world-class internal products to support Andela’s business needs.
As the Senior Software Engineer, you will take on complex tasks and complete them despite roadblocks, grabbing others for help or insight as necessary. You will require very little oversight beyond high-level direction; you can take a complex user story, break it down into sub-tasks, and complete their sub-tasks with relative ease. You will show initiative beyond knocking tasks off a list; you are able to identify and suggest areas of future work for yourself or your team. You will drive product velocity and deliver products with confidence. You will take pride in building products that are key to helping Andela grow and scale as an organization.
You’re the kind of person who:
- Believes that building great software is more than just delivering working code, that other aspects such as reusability, testability, maintainability, security, and performance are just as important.
- Is constantly learning and expanding your skill sets on and off the job.
- Can mentor entry-level developers willing to become world-class.
- Facilitate the building and releasing of features by engineering team
- Take part in building a secure and highly available platform
- Build tools and processes that increase the productivity of other engineers and ensure an efficient release pipeline
- Support and collaborate with other engineers building on top of the platform
- Share responsibility for strategically scaling Andela’s internal systems
- Promote and nurture good team practices such as TDD, system security, code reviews, and pair programming
- Bring vision to the team in the form of new technology recommendations, ideas and approaches
We are interested in a candidate from any background as long as you have a solid understanding of core computer science principles. Here’s an abbreviated list of interesting technologies we currently use:
- Node.js with TypeScript
- Platform: Google Cloud, Docker, NATS messaging system, Kubernetes,Terraform, Vault
- At least 5 years of software development experience
- Solid foundation in Linux administration and troubleshooting
- Experience with system scripting languages like Bash, Python or Golang
- Experience with Docker and container orchestration tools like Kubernetes, ECS, Docker Swarm
- Deeply familiar with concepts like DevOps, Continuous Delivery and TDD
- Experience building application on cloud platforms like GCP, AWS, Azure
- Strong understanding of computer science principles
- Experience working in an agile environment (standups, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc)
- Solid written and verbal communication
- Experience with system automation
- Experience with distributed systems
- Experience with working with tools like Terraforms, Ansible, Chef, Puppet
- Experience building large-scale and highly available distributed systems
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.