Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About The Role
The Andela General Manager is a seasoned professional who is passionate about building the next generation of technology and business leaders in Africa. The successful candidate will be responsible for executing on strategy, addressing daily issues, supervising staff at multiple levels, and ensuring successful execution on the performance metrics.
Areas of focus will be around Egypt operations, owning high-value external relationships in country, developing Andela’s brand as employer of choice in Egypt, ensuring Andela’s business successfully scales within Egypt and serving as a role model to others in how they demonstrate Andela’s (EPIC) values.
You bring more than passion to the role: you are a world-class leader with exceptional operational expertise and demonstrated strong leadership skills. You’re an expert in building and managing complex operations and developing the processes necessary for scale. You know how to think – and act – big, while holding a strong moral compass in everything you do.
- Oversee the employment of Senior Software Developers alongside Andela’s other department leads within and outside Egypt.
- Lead decisions around securing facilities and real estate to house Andela’s employees, and ensure they have all the infrastructure to support on-site and remote work (e.g., power, internet, work space, security, work tools).
- Drive business case for expanding into new offices and cities within country.
- Establish strong relationships with key influencers and stakeholders within the tech ecosystem, broader business community and government, to elevate Andela’s brand, and to improve Andela’s business performance.
- Be the chief spokesperson for Andela within the country.
- Manage the financial performance of Andela, and drive improvements to business performance through sound oversight and management of the country budget.
- Ability to create detailed budgets and financial (or cost) projections, and drive a culture of responsible financial management.
- Provide inspirational leadership and shape the internal employer brand.
- Set the tone for how teams and colleagues collaborate to create an excellent place to work.
- Lead a group of leaders as a coach, mentor and role model in EPIC values that others strive to emulate.
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional leaders to create strategic and operational plans 6-12 months out.
- Ability to proactively identify opportunities for, and challenges to, country growth and scaling.
- Provide valuable inputs and insights that shape function, country or region strategy.
Leadership and people management:
- Ability to attract and help close senior level hires, who are drawn to Andela through you.
- Ability to coach, mentor and guide senior functional leaders in country.
- Ensure the overall well being, morale and success of all employees by working closely with People team and cross-functional leaders. Build trust and respect with employees, in order to have influence on decisions and morale.
- 7+ years of post-undergraduate, full-time work experience
- Experience managing operations, including detailed budgeting and reporting, in a complex environment
- Experience rapidly growing and scaling a project or business
- Experience developing and managing a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Experience managing and coordinating teams to deliver on a tight schedule
- Work and living experience in emerging markets, particularly in Egypt
- Record of strong academic performance from a leading undergraduate and, if attended, graduate institution
- Experience at start-ups a plus, but not required
- Fluent in Arabic and English
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.