Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peak behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from Africa and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200+ tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the Role
In this role, you will primarily work as a Senior Software Engineer within the Technology department building world-class internal products to support Andela’s business needs. As the Senior Software Engineer, you will take on complex tasks and complete them despite roadblocks, grabbing others for help or insight as necessary. You will require very little oversight beyond high-level direction; you can take a complex user story, break it down into sub-tasks, and complete their sub-tasks with relative ease. You will show initiative beyond knocking tasks off a list; you are able to identify and suggest areas of future work for yourself or your team. You will drive product velocity and deliver products with confidence. You will take pride in building products that are key to helping Andela grow and scale as an organization.
You’re the kind of person who:
- Truly understands the DevOps culture and practices; and can be champion for this within the organization
- Builds solutions and does not become the solution (automation)*
- Thinks long-term incremental evolution, in sync with the industry practices and innovation
- Believes that building great software is more than just delivering working code, that other aspects such as reusability, testability, maintainability, security, and performance are just as important.
- Is constantly learning and expanding your skill sets on and off the job.
- Promote infrastructure best practices like security, release management, monitoring
- Design infrastructure that is resilient, secure and highly available
- Facilitate the building and releasing of features by engineering team
- Take part in building a secure and highly available platform
- Build tools and processes that increase the productivity of other engineers and ensure an efficient release pipeline
- Support and collaborate with other engineers building on top of the platform
- Share responsibility for strategically scaling Andela’s internal systems
- Promote and nurture good team practices such as TDD, system security, code reviews, and pair programming
- Bring vision to the team in the form of new technology recommendations, ideas and approaches
We are interested in a candidate from any background as long as you have a solid understanding of core computer science principles. Here’s an abbreviated list of interesting technologies we currently use:
- Node.js with TypeScript
- Platform: Google Cloud, Docker, NATS messaging system, Kubernetes,Terraform, Vault
- At least 5 years of software development experience
- Solid foundation in Linux administration and troubleshooting
- Experience with system scripting languages like Bash, Python or Golang
- Experience with Docker and container orchestration tools like Kubernetes, ECS, Docker Swarm
- Deeply familiar with concepts like DevOps, Continuous Delivery and TDD
- Experience with working with tools like Terraforms, Ansible, Chef, Puppet
- Experience with at least one major cloud provider
- Strong understanding of computer science principles
- Experience working in an agile environment (standups, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc)
- Solid written and verbal communication
- Experience with system automation
- Experience with distributed systems
- Experience building large-scale and highly available distributed systems
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.